Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Smalley (formerly Spiralox) Stocking Distributors???

Anybody know of same?

Needing a couple VH 137 (Spiralox UR 137) internal constant-section snap
rings...Mr Deere now lists them as "obsolete" and suggests replacing a
3" pulley bearing w/ a complete newly designed assembly at some
multi-hundred dollars.

I've been unable so far to find any in stock anywhere--local machine
shop checked their distributor and they have to back to factory which
is, of course, minimum order and probably _a_long_time_ (tm).

I requested a couple of samples from Smalley directly; not sure if that
will be honored or not as of yet.

McMaster-Carr and the usual suspects so far been unuccessful as
well...it's a internal snap ring for a 0.030" groove, internal pulley
bore 1.375". The problem is all the new rings are for 0.05" grooves...

If'en anybody here has a distribution point that would be _a_good_thing_
(tm) -- otherwise looks like it may be time to have machine shop widen
the grooves...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I called Smalley earlier this week. They have minimal distributors and a minimum order was $25 when ordering from Smalley. I needed 2 pcs @ $0.17 each.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/9/2012 10:44 PM, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 16:00:15 -0500, wrote:

On 8/9/2012 1:50 PM, wrote:
I called Smalley earlier this week. They have minimal distributors
and a minimum order was $25 when ordering from Smalley. I needed 2
pcs @ $0.17 each.

Well, are there _any_ distributors? Would seem unlikely they sell
much product otherwise.

There's a link on the web site for samples--as noted I've no idea
whether they'll deign to bother or not (probably not) but figured
nothing ventured...

More to the point perhaps, did you find any alternatives?

Motion Industries claims to have over 800 in stock.

Spirolox / Smalley
UR 137 RETAINING RING
Item No. 00649570
Branch: 0
Whse: 0
Corp: 844

Thanks a lot...they had not showed up in any searches I had done and I
wasn't aware of them on the side. And, amazingly, they have a location
in Dodge which is 100 miles away...I've got a sweet-sounding little
lady there working to see if she can lay her hands on a couple for me as
we speaketh...

Just out of curiosity, where did you find the info on inventory? I only
found a listing of the Item as "Available, Price on Request" which
generally means factory order...I tried the phone but haven't gotten
past the pushbutton stage yet at corporate. So, I thought I'd try the
local office and see if get anywhere. It'll be my luck that's who
Garrett called yesterday that I just didn't know who he was using as
distributor...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/9/2012 1:50 PM, wrote:
[...]

You must be logged in to get inventory info, and I think you need to
have an account to get a username and password. Also, only list prices
are shown without logging in. You see your price when logged in.

Many people don't like MI, but that seems to have more to do with the
branch you deal with than MI itself. My branch used to be part of a
regional family owned business, and many of the same people, including
the son of the original owner, are still there.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/10/2012 10:12 AM, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:28:26 -0500, wrote:

Just out of curiosity, where did you find the info on inventory? I only
found a listing of the Item as "Available, Price on Request" ...

You must be logged in to get inventory info, and I think you need to
have an account to get a username and password. Also, only list prices
are shown without logging in. You see your price when logged in.

Oh, OK, I just submitted a quote request as I've not heard back from the
gal in Dodge. W/O an actual account it didn't show inventory but since
you had acct and it shows I'll presume that they can somehow scrounge up
two out of 800+...

We'll see what happens, I guess. Maybe I'll hear something from Smalley
themselves on the samples before having to bite the bullet on placing an
order. I'd presume they'll be pretty cheap--basically the cost of
shipping. If so, I'll probably actually order a half-dozen or so since
the incremental cost would be essentially nothing...

Thanks for the pointer; appreciate it indeed...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/9/2012 10:44 PM, Ned Simmons wrote:

Motion Industries claims to have over 800 in stock.

Spirolox / Smalley
UR 137 RETAINING RING
Item No. 00649570

They're on their way--Lynnette in the Dodge City branch was most
accommodating.

Thanks again, not sure I'd have found 'em w/o the connection.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 19:01:22 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 8/9/2012 10:44 PM, Ned Simmons wrote:

Motion Industries claims to have over 800 in stock.

Spirolox / Smalley
UR 137 RETAINING RING
Item No. 00649570

They're on their way--Lynnette in the Dodge City branch was most
accommodating.

Thanks again, not sure I'd have found 'em w/o the connection.

I'm glad it worked out.

--
Ned Simmons