Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default steel shim used as a thrust washer?

Greetings all:

I have my Triumph gearbox apart for a refresh and while going thru the various tolerance checks,one of the thrust washers is too thin by 0.015 inch. This part retains the 1st gear axially on the trans shaft. This part is no longer available in any thickness - originally this part was available in 4 thickness ranges. http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...arretainer.jpg The existing thrust washer is hardened. Since there is no rotation on this part (unless the mainshaft bearing seizes and then I have much bigger issues). I am thinking of using a 0.015 thk round steel shim as a spacer between the bearing inner and the existing thrust washer. This part would not be hardened (Rockwell B85). http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3244/=iqlzxw Does anyone see an issue with this?

The other alternative is to turn a thrust washer on the lathe out of some mystery steel. Problem is that I have a difficult time parting off and keeping the cut square. I do not have access to a surface grinder.

thrust bearings mark Metalworking 12 January 17th 10 01:34 AM
Should I buy steel reinforced washer hoses? [email protected] Home Repair 19 July 16th 09 05:42 PM
Bearings and Thrust Problems... Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Metalworking 25 March 4th 09 05:51 PM
Curring stainless steel shim? Chris Metalworking 4 March 14th 06 12:59 AM
What's the thrust path in a jet engine? Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 34 March 17th 04 06:04 AM