Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default O.T. Television sound levels

When I change cable channels I have to adjust the sound level to a
different level for every channel. There apparently is no standard
setting and every network is at a different audio level. Has anybody
solved this problem or is the best solution to turn the idiot box off
and read a book?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 3, 12:23*pm, wrote:
When I change cable channels I have to adjust the sound level to a
different level for every channel. There apparently is no standard
setting and every network is *at a different audio level. Has anybody
solved this problem or is the best solution to turn the idiot box off
and read a book?

I've tried the Audiovox VR1 volume controller with an older TV set and
it helped a little, but I probably wouldn't recommend it. If you have
a Sony Bravia TV, there is a "Steady Sound" setting that you can turn
on under the Sound settings menu and that should help.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Boris Mohar wrote:

On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 13:23:06 -0400, wrote:

When I change cable channels I have to adjust the sound level to a
different level for every channel. There apparently is no standard
setting and every network is at a different audio level. Has anybody
solved this problem or is the best solution to turn the idiot box off
and read a book?

I share your pain. Same channel will change sound lever from program to
program and from day to day. In the old days they used to have a control
room.

In the old days the levels were set properly and checked weekly. Any
volume changes were at the TV station, since the local channels were
processed by 'Heterodyne Signal Processors'. IOW, the off air was
downconverted to a standard TV IF signal. Then the Aural and Visual IF
level was set. Finally, they were upconverted to the channel you tuned
to, to watch that station. I spent four years repairing that type of
equipment in Cincinnati. Our headend was on the other side of the wall
from my workbench, and I could usually get to and fix problems before
the first complaint made it through the answering service. Today, CATV
systems don't hire people for that work and don't give a damn about
'Proof Of Performance'. They want enough people to drop analog service
so they can shut it down. Their QAM and ClearQAM signals come in
digital form, but most stations have cut their engineering staff to the
bone, and hire idiots to run master control. I saw the problems coming
and left CATV and broadcast engineering over 20 years ago.