Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default horizontal mill bearing

My supermax mill has both a vertical and a horizontal spindle.

Unfortunately the outboard spindle support for the horizontal spindle
is MIA. I want to make one. I can pretty well figure how to machine a
hunk of steel for the support (wish i had a hunk of grey iron)

What should I use for a bearing? Are these just a bronze or brass
bushing? I think a timkem and race and housing is too large a
diameter, it must be smaller than my cutters.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message ...
My supermax mill has both a vertical and a horizontal spindle.

Unfortunately the outboard spindle support for the horizontal spindle
is MIA. I want to make one. I can pretty well figure how to machine a
hunk of steel for the support (wish i had a hunk of grey iron)

What should I use for a bearing? Are these just a bronze or brass
bushing? I think a timkem and race and housing is too large a
diameter, it must be smaller than my cutters.

Normally they ( bushing ) are bronze or brass, with a tapered OD, and are slitted once lengthwise--and they mount into a corresponding tapered hole in the outboard support......usually, there is a key slot and pin to keep them from rotating and there is also an adjusting nut that serves to draw it deeper into the taper thus reducing the inside diameter as the nut is tightened.

There will also be provisions for lubrication, toilet seat and wick, or an actual hollowed out reservouir in the housing along with a bulls-eye sight glass and fill plug.

In use, you want to adjust for a thousands or so of oil clearance, maybe a 8little less but be careful--if you get it too tight or go without sufficient lubrication then things can go to hell pretty quick.

You need a "sleeve" ( which is the name of the part that that mounts onto the arbor itself ) for each arbor size that you want to run, IE one with with a 1.5 hole, one with a 1-1/4 hole and so forth...

FWIW, it's even better if have a pair of supports....

"overarm support" + "milling machine" is probably going to be your best bet so far as keyword searches are concerned....

Suggest leave final boring for the very last, and finishing in-place if possible--install into the support and then, using a criterion type head in the mill spindle and mounting it close-in, feed the entire overarm towards the boring head by pushing it along with the table cross feed....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

THANK YOU. Very informative. Bit more to this than I thought. (There
always is)

Karl