Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ??? Keyed - Really ???

A few days ago I needed a little more grip range on the RF-30, so I pulled
the machine vise with the swivel base. I threw on a couple large
"screwless" vises and got what I needed done.

Yesterday I was tinkering in the shop and thought that vise with swivel base
might be handy on the no name mill drill. I set it on the table only to
find it didn't set down flat no matter what I did. I flipped it over and
found where somebody had machined a nice slot in the bottom of the swivel
and installed a couple keys that matched the slots on the RF-30.

Ok, I just don't see the purpose. It's a freaking swivel base. Why?

I pulled the keys and mounted the vise.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On Jul 5, 11:52*am, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in ...

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in
messagenews:XnsA0877909CAD57lloydspmindspringcom@2 16.168.3.70...
"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in
newsxiJr.46524$l_
:

Ok, I just don't see the purpose. *It's a freaking swivel base.
Why?

Keeps the vise in a known position on the rotary base, so the fixed
jaw is
always at a certain radius from center.

I'm not sure I do it, but I can see its usefulness, especially if
one were
doing a lot of one particular part (not in batches) over several
changes of
tooling and fixturing.

The base was keyed to the table. *Not the vise to the base.

That shows you how rarely the vise needed to swivel. Does the vise
itself have mounting ears?

jsw

If the base is correctly keyed, the vise will be aligned when the
index mark is set exactly to zero.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rex" wrote in message
[...]

Ahhh... That makes sense. Close anyway.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
The base was keyed to the table. Not the vise to the base.

Keeps the degree readings relative to the table axes and not a
random
orientation.

Makes sense. I can't mount it square on the no name anyway though.

I received an RF-31 from MSC whose slots were slightly angled to the
table motion. I made keys to fit in the slots and then milled small
shoulders on the top edges, automatically parallel to the travel.

If you ever swivel the vise, see how repeatably you can realign it to
the marks.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-07-05, Bob La Londe wrote:
A few days ago I needed a little more grip range on the RF-30, so I pulled
the machine vise with the swivel base. I threw on a couple large
"screwless" vises and got what I needed done.

Yesterday I was tinkering in the shop and thought that vise with swivel base
might be handy on the no name mill drill. I set it on the table only to
find it didn't set down flat no matter what I did. I flipped it over and
found where somebody had machined a nice slot in the bottom of the swivel
and installed a couple keys that matched the slots on the RF-30.

Ok, I just don't see the purpose. It's a freaking swivel base. Why?

Does the base have an angle scale for the vise? If so, the keys
are likely for repeatability of the setting with the angle scale without
having to test it each time you put it on the mill.

I pulled the keys and mounted the vise.

While you could make an extra set of keys to do the same on the
no-name mill drill if the T-slot dimensions are different.

Maybe even make a set of keys which fit one machine with one
side up, and fit the other machine if you flip them over.

I keep keys on my vises most of the time -- but if I need to
mount them at an angle (e.g. a Kurt-II vise needed to go on at 45
degrees on my horizontal mill), I set the angle with a bevel protractor
and clamp down with a hold-down kit (no mounting ears on the Kurt-II,
and *no* I did not buy it new. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Car Keyed Thomarse UK diy 27 October 17th 08 01:43 PM
convert keyless drill to keyed? ans Home Repair 5 May 26th 08 06:27 AM
How to remove cylinder in keyed entry lock? ** Frank ** Home Repair 8 April 15th 07 04:39 PM
Sprocket on keyed or splined shaft? Tom Gardner Metalworking 9 May 6th 06 02:48 AM
KEYED CORNER JEWELRY BOX J T Woodworking 2 January 17th 06 07:36 PM