Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default ??? Keyed - Really ???

On Jul 5, 11:52*am, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in ...

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in
messagenews:XnsA0877909CAD57lloydspmindspringcom@2 16.168.3.70...
"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in
newsxiJr.46524$l_
:

Ok, I just don't see the purpose. *It's a freaking swivel base.
Why?

Keeps the vise in a known position on the rotary base, so the fixed
jaw is
always at a certain radius from center.

I'm not sure I do it, but I can see its usefulness, especially if
one were
doing a lot of one particular part (not in batches) over several
changes of
tooling and fixturing.

The base was keyed to the table. *Not the vise to the base.

That shows you how rarely the vise needed to swivel. Does the vise
itself have mounting ears?

jsw

If the base is correctly keyed, the vise will be aligned when the
index mark is set exactly to zero.