Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tongue weight

Is there any formula regarding tongue weight? I am redoing my boat trailer,
and it seems a little heavy on the tongue. I can shift the axle, but just
wanted to know if there is any standard to apply as a rule of thumb.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" fired this volley in
:

Is there any formula regarding tongue weight? I am redoing my boat
trailer, and it seems a little heavy on the tongue. I can shift the
axle, but just wanted to know if there is any standard to apply as a
rule of thumb.

IIRC, about 10% of the total gross weight should bear on the hitch, with
the maximum being about 15%.

Less than 10% can begin to induce "tail wagging", which can amplify until
it sweeps the tow vehicle off the road (or at least out of its lane).

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 17:01:31 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

Is there any formula regarding tongue weight? I am redoing my boat trailer,
and it seems a little heavy on the tongue. I can shift the axle, but just
wanted to know if there is any standard to apply as a rule of thumb.

Steve

10 to 15 % trailer weight on the tongue. On a 1500 lb class trailer,
150 lb on the hitch. MY rule of thumb is no less than 75 lb on the
tongue, regardless how light the trailer.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote

Less than 10% can begin to induce "tail wagging", which can amplify until
it sweeps the tow vehicle off the road (or at least out of its lane).

LLoyd

I saw a short wheelbased Bronco hauling a short trailer of cinder blocks get
squirrely when the trailer went kaflooey. All over three lanes of busy
traffic. I have to give the guy credit, he brought it in with no damage.
save a change of underwear. That was the wildest ride I have ever seen that
someone recovered from. Obviously from a light tongue weight. I once got
crazy towing a boat, but, it too was brought under control by deceleration
rather than braking.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 17:55:28 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote

Less than 10% can begin to induce "tail wagging", which can amplify until
it sweeps the tow vehicle off the road (or at least out of its lane).

LLoyd

I saw a short wheelbased Bronco hauling a short trailer of cinder blocks get
squirrely when the trailer went kaflooey. All over three lanes of busy
traffic. I have to give the guy credit, he brought it in with no damage.
save a change of underwear. That was the wildest ride I have ever seen that
someone recovered from. Obviously from a light tongue weight. I once got
crazy towing a boat, but, it too was brought under control by deceleration
rather than braking.

Steve

Goota remember, particularly with boats, that the static tongue weight
and the running tongue weight are not always the same. A boat can lift
significantly at speed, particularly if the hitch is higher than it
should be.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-07-02, Steve B wrote:
Is there any formula regarding tongue weight? I am redoing my boat trailer,
and it seems a little heavy on the tongue. I can shift the axle, but just
wanted to know if there is any standard to apply as a rule of thumb.

Ten percent of gross trailer weight on tongue is the standard.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ecnerwal fired this volley
in :

but a drop hitch adapter isn't expensive. So it's just stooopid to
run the tongue higher than it should be on anything you own

yup.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus29868 used his keyboard to write :
On 2012-07-02, Steve B wrote:
Is there any formula regarding tongue weight? I am redoing my boat trailer,
and it seems a little heavy on the tongue. I can shift the axle, but just
wanted to know if there is any standard to apply as a rule of thumb.

Ten percent of gross trailer weight on tongue is the standard.

If you can JUST lift it on then it's about right is my simple rule.

--
John G

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
news
[...]

My boat lives a sheltered life. The fartherest lake is about ten miles, top
speed 45 mph. Now, that's not to say that I will never take it on a trip on
the freeway @ 70 mph. I just think this is a Rufus McGee rig, and way out
of balance. I just put some new keel runners on there, and if it was up to
me, I'd put an extension on the frame, or just scrap it completely. The rig
is a Lund aluminum 16', with a 40 Merc, so nothing really heavy. Still,
tho, enough to get into a bind. The trailer barely comes to the end of the
transom, and the rear wheels are barely three feet in front of the end of
the trailer. Will measure tongue weight tomorrow, but I can barely lift it.
I read 9-15%, so will settle in the 12% range. Maybe time to set it off and
do some major trailer work.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. au...
On 2012-07-02, Steve B wrote:
Is there any formula regarding tongue weight? I am redoing my boat
trailer, and it seems a little heavy on the tongue. I can shift the
axle, but just wanted to know if there is any standard to apply as a
rule of thumb.

Ten percent of gross trailer weight on tongue is the standard.

If you can JUST lift it on then it's about right is my simple rule.

--
John G

I broke my back, had three shoulder surgeries, knee surgery, and had my
sternum cut in half with a medical chain saw. The doctor told me not to
lift anything bigger than my Johnson, then he saw that, and said just don't
lift anything very heavy.

Steve ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 20:53:03 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ecnerwal fired this volley
in :

but a drop hitch adapter isn't expensive. So it's just stooopid to
run the tongue higher than it should be on anything you own

yup.

It better be level for a two axle trailer, like for my bay boat. Got
to replace all the tires 2/3 of the way through a 1500 mile tow
because of that. One of the nuts spun, too. That's fun on the road.
Nut was too soft for nut splitter, resorted to cold chisel and big
hammer. Replaced the studs. This was in Lake Charles, LA.

On the curve, the manufacturer warned me on a light canoe trailer to
always tow with the canoe upright if highway speeds. Otherwise, he
said you could be pulling a kite.

Luckily, I moved to Texas, so most tows under 50 miles, except for 200
for the little trailer with kayaks aboard, or occasionally the same
with the jon boat. I really like the wheel bearings running in oil on
that trailer. When I replace the axles on the big trailer, that's
what I'll be shopping for.

Pete Keillor

Weight of slate roof versus weight of cement tile roof replacement? N_Cook UK diy 10 October 1st 10 07:22 PM
Tongue question stryped Metalworking 1 April 26th 08 10:30 PM
tongue cancer [email protected] Home Repair 2 January 9th 08 05:21 PM
tongue and grove Cyrille de Brébisson Woodworking 18 September 27th 05 09:42 PM