Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default aluminum soldering report

I just tried a few minutes ago soldering aluminum with tinning flux.
The tinning flux didn't seem to give any advantage over regular flux.
I used a .09 thick sheet of 6061. First I tried a brass brush to clean
the aluminum but the brush was too soft to abrade away the oxide
coating. So I used a piece of coarse sandpaper to sand through the
flux. This is not ideal as it leaves particles behind but I'm down to
my last clean SS brush and didn't want to contaminate it. After
cleaning I tried three different solders, tin/antimony,
tin/silver/bismuth, and 50/50 tin lead. After heating the aluminum I
applied the solders and used a flat bladed screwdriver to abrade the
already abraded surface and spread the solder around. The tin/antimony
solder just would not wet the aluminum. The other two solders wet the
aluminum just fine. I still like the mainly zinc solder that's made
for aluminum best for joining two aluminum parts but if I needed to
attach a wire to aluminum or needed to keep things at a lower
temperature I would use the tin/silver/bismuth solder.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 08:18:18 -0700, etpm wrote:

[...]

Useful info. Thanks Eric!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 1, 11:18*am, wrote:
[...]

That's great, Thanks for the report. What is the tinning flux and
regular flux?
(Rosin, Activated Rosin?) I should be getting my order from McM-C
today, and I'll post any success.. (or failure.)

It'd be nice to just use some 'regular' solder.

George H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 07:26:17 -0700 (PDT), George Herold
wrote:

On Jul 1, 11:18*am, wrote:
[...]

The tinning flux and regular flux are the type used for soldering
copper pipe. The stuff with zinc chloride in it. Not the new water
based stuff. The tinning flux I bought is sold in a kit with a little
acid brush ans a small roll of tin/silver/bismuth solder.
Eric