Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fine copper "bullion" (read "bulls&^%") bars?

On 2012-06-27, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus25088" wrote in message
I just took apart a big electrical panel, extracting 194 lbs of copper
buss bars. I also have a modest quantity of solid copper spot welder
parts.

Vaguely recalling something, I performed an ebay search for "copper
bullion bar".

To my astonishment, I noticed that "copper bullion bars" are selling
very briskly on ebay for about $7.50 per lb, including in large
quantities.

Example http://ef.algebra.com/e/261007255220

There is no way I can get that much from a scrap yard, the best I
found for #1 copper is something like $2.79 per lb.

So, my thinking went into overdrive. Can I melt these bus bars into
custom made molds, saying something like

SUPERFINE 99% COPPER BULLION
ALGEBRA INC. MINING DIVISION

If so,

1) What material should I use for molds, I have a CNC milling
machine to create a shape, and

2) Will I be subject to a lot of EPA regulations if I have a small
metal casting operation

Thanks

A very good friend of mine just retired from 37 years of being an
electrician. His brother in law came to him with an idea to scrap copper,
and cut it into small chunks, making it easier to ship and handle. He said
it sold for more than regular scrap, as it was cleaner. He was
investigating making a mold for a "Harney", or something like that, a copper
clamp, IIRC to bundle wires. Anyway, he claimed that there can be grades to
copper scrap.

Yes, #1, #2 etc.

It made a little sense if you look at it from a common sense standpoint.
Copper absolutely free of coatings, trash, etc, in 3/16" cubes, ready to
melt, and very easy to package and ship. I know that clean copper would be
worth more than with the coatings on it, or that which had ash from being
burned off.

Right, this is exactly what it is. I am looking to get a cable
stripper to get clean copper out of insulation..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Anyone hear of this?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/27/2012 10:12 AM, Ignoramus28574 wrote:

Right, this is exactly what it is. I am looking to get a cable
stripper to get clean copper out of insulation..

Easy to make. Two opposing wire wheels. We sell thousands of wire
stripping brushes that fit machines. Mostly used by cable bundle
assemblers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:47:54 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 6/27/2012 10:12 AM, Ignoramus28574 wrote:

Right, this is exactly what it is. I am looking to get a cable
stripper to get clean copper out of insulation..

Easy to make. Two opposing wire wheels. We sell thousands of wire
stripping brushes that fit machines. Mostly used by cable bundle
assemblers.

No matter what the problem, Tom has a brush to fix it.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-27, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:47:54 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 6/27/2012 10:12 AM, Ignoramus28574 wrote:

Right, this is exactly what it is. I am looking to get a cable
stripper to get clean copper out of insulation..

Easy to make. Two opposing wire wheels. We sell thousands of wire
stripping brushes that fit machines. Mostly used by cable bundle
assemblers.

No matter what the problem, Tom has a brush to fix it.

Karl

What I need is a stripper with sharp "knife" wheels. They pull the
cable and cut the insulation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/27/2012 3:33 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:47:54 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 6/27/2012 10:12 AM, Ignoramus28574 wrote:

Right, this is exactly what it is. I am looking to get a cable
stripper to get clean copper out of insulation..

Easy to make. Two opposing wire wheels. We sell thousands of wire
stripping brushes that fit machines. Mostly used by cable bundle
assemblers.

No matter what the problem, Tom has a brush to fix it.

Karl

Wait until you see my "Strawberry Brush"! I do have two patents in the
works for restaurant grill/broiler brushes. One made specifically for
"Outback Steak House" to clean their new wood-fired grills. The other
replaces a current widely used product with "AH-HAA" improvements.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

No matter what the problem, Tom has a brush to fix it.

He still hasn't perfected his 'Anti Liberal' brush.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Tue, 03 Jul 2012
21:10:34 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Karl Townsend wrote:

No matter what the problem, Tom has a brush to fix it.

He still hasn't perfected his 'Anti Liberal' brush.

"Time to pull back the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wire
brush of enlightenment."

You may want to don your hearing protection, now.

DNA,WNT.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
Rock is Dead! --- Long live Paper & Scissors!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

No matter what the problem, Tom has a brush to fix it.

He still hasn't perfected his 'Anti Liberal' brush.

"Time to pull back the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wire
brush of enlightenment."

That task cries out for a gross of large angle grinders & a 20 lb
sledge hammers.

You may want to don your hearing protection, now.

Damn their hearing, full speed ahead!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 04 Jul 2012
10:20:20 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Karl Townsend wrote:

No matter what the problem, Tom has a brush to fix it.

He still hasn't perfected his 'Anti Liberal' brush.

"Time to pull back the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wire
brush of enlightenment."

That task cries out for a gross of large angle grinders & a 20 lb
sledge hammers.

You may want to don your hearing protection, now.

Damn their hearing, full speed ahead!

That hearing protection is for you! You can't do a decent job if
you can hear the whining and screaming! Now get those cans on, and
remember, the floggings will continue until morale improves! Lay on!

pyotr

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the