Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Fine copper "bullion" (read "bulls&^%") bars?

"Ignoramus25088" wrote in message
I just took apart a big electrical panel, extracting 194 lbs of copper
buss bars. I also have a modest quantity of solid copper spot welder
parts.

Vaguely recalling something, I performed an ebay search for "copper
bullion bar".

To my astonishment, I noticed that "copper bullion bars" are selling
very briskly on ebay for about $7.50 per lb, including in large
quantities.

Example http://ef.algebra.com/e/261007255220

There is no way I can get that much from a scrap yard, the best I
found for #1 copper is something like $2.79 per lb.

So, my thinking went into overdrive. Can I melt these bus bars into
custom made molds, saying something like

SUPERFINE 99% COPPER BULLION
ALGEBRA INC. MINING DIVISION

If so,

1) What material should I use for molds, I have a CNC milling
machine to create a shape, and

2) Will I be subject to a lot of EPA regulations if I have a small
metal casting operation

Thanks

A very good friend of mine just retired from 37 years of being an
electrician. His brother in law came to him with an idea to scrap copper,
and cut it into small chunks, making it easier to ship and handle. He said
it sold for more than regular scrap, as it was cleaner. He was
investigating making a mold for a "Harney", or something like that, a copper
clamp, IIRC to bundle wires. Anyway, he claimed that there can be grades to
copper scrap.

It made a little sense if you look at it from a common sense standpoint.
Copper absolutely free of coatings, trash, etc, in 3/16" cubes, ready to
melt, and very easy to package and ship. I know that clean copper would be
worth more than with the coatings on it, or that which had ash from being
burned off.

Anyone hear of this?

Steve