Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Maxair compressors

Looking at this compressor for fairly light usage:

http://www.eaglecompressor.com/air_c...p?recordID=282

but I can't find any reviews. Sold by Home Depot (US), TSC in Canada,
etc.

Any info on reliability? Lots of people seem to have problems with
low-end compressors. I don't want to spend the extra $$ for IR, Quincy
or even (gulp) RK (nice stuff). I figure on getting a single stage and
an air amplifier for when I occasionally need 200psi.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-21, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Looking at this compressor for fairly light usage:

http://www.eaglecompressor.com/air_c...p?recordID=282

but I can't find any reviews. Sold by Home Depot (US), TSC in Canada,
etc.

Any info on reliability? Lots of people seem to have problems with
low-end compressors. I don't want to spend the extra $$ for IR, Quincy
or even (gulp) RK (nice stuff). I figure on getting a single stage and
an air amplifier for when I occasionally need 200psi.

My guess is that it will be fine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 21, 1:20*pm, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:
Looking at this compressor for fairly light usage:

http://www.eaglecompressor.com/air_c...p?recordID=282

but I can't find any reviews. Sold by Home Depot (US), TSC in Canada,
etc.

Any info on reliability? Lots of people seem to have problems with
low-end compressors. I don't want to spend the extra $$ for IR, Quincy
or even (gulp) RK (nice stuff). I figure on getting a single stage and
an air amplifier for when I occasionally need 200psi.

So where's the pump made, is it all iron, sleeved alloy or just plated
aluminum? Where was the motor made? Never heard of the brand, so
probably just another vendor of the same chink stuff everyone else
sells. How good is your local retailer with returns and parts?
Support is what you're looking for in this case. It's a little big to
be looked at as a disposable unit. TSC has been fairly good with
support on the stuff they sell, HD, "support, what's that?".

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,

wrote:
[...]

Exactly. If you go to the local HD, you will find the floor model
compressors are missing pieces. You may ask why. Because people steal
them, even if they cost $2, because HD won't provide them. (And how do I
know that this is the problem? Because the floor people at HD told me.)

So, the critical test is simply to try to buy a common and essential
repair part for something they sold five or ten years ago. I would
actually buy the part, just to be sure. Things will clarify quite
rapidly then.

The alternative is to plan to replace the entire compressor every five
or ten years. Depending on price, this may or may not make sense.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I'll let y'all know when I pick it up on Sunday.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

You coulda' had a nice 5hp Kellog on a Dayton 30 gal tank with a slight
crack! Damn!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I could buy your Kellogg for $60 if I was local.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

- Marked "American Assembled"
- Motor is WEG brand, made in Brazil.
- Pump is made in Taiwan (came filled with oil to
mid-sight-glass) - they say cast iron cylinders
- Tank is made by these guys:

http://www.iceindustries.com/manufac...pecialty-tanks
- Liquid filled pressure gauge, nice ball valve.
- Unit (not just motor) is CSA.

Seems a cut above the really low end stuff that chomps up and spits
out head gaskets and such like- I'm pleased so far.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Compressors Jeweller UK diy 6 November 21st 08 06:12 PM
air compressors brianlanning Woodworking 14 February 14th 06 04:23 PM
air compressors [email protected] Metalworking 4 December 28th 05 04:58 PM
Air Compressors - how many bar Rick UK diy 11 November 24th 05 01:18 PM
Old Air Compressors - Are They Better? Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 8 April 8th 05 01:06 AM