Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default SS exhaust pipe

bearing in mind it will have to go through a bender & get flared whats
the best stainless alloy to use for an exhaust pipe?

H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 May 2012 22:09:03 -0300, Howard Eisenhauer
wrote:

bearing in mind it will have to go through a bender & get flared whats
the best stainless alloy to use for an exhaust pipe?

H.

Most aircraft and many racecar pipes are made from 321.
Regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Howard Eisenhauer" wrote in message
bearing in mind it will have to go through a bender & get flared
whats
the best stainless alloy to use for an exhaust pipe?

H.

Best? Can you afford Inconel?
http://www.goodfabs.com/

Do you expect it to remain shiny or just last a long time?

The stainless steel exhaust components on Honda cars definitely don't
last forever. My home-made repair parts:
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...18954299040386
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...37862376318882
Some weren't originally stainless, and I've had to replace other
stainless parts I couldn't make.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 May 2012 07:39:35 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

*Snip*

Do you expect it to remain shiny or just last a long time?

The stainless steel exhaust components on Honda cars definitely don't
last forever. My home-made repair parts:
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...18954299040386
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...37862376318882
Some weren't originally stainless, and I've had to replace other
stainless parts I couldn't make.

jsw

Looking for more for longevity & non-rusty more than shiny. This will
be going on a restored '55 CJ5 ( http://tantel.ca/Tonka.html ) just
copying the stock setup, nothing showy.

H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Howard Eisenhauer" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 May 2012 07:39:35 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

*Snip*

Do you expect it to remain shiny or just last a long time?

The stainless steel exhaust components on Honda cars definitely
don't
last forever. My home-made repair parts:
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...18954299040386
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...37862376318882
Some weren't originally stainless, and I've had to replace other
stainless parts I couldn't make.

jsw

Looking for more for longevity & non-rusty more than shiny. This
will
be going on a restored '55 CJ5 ( http://tantel.ca/Tonka.html ) just
copying the stock setup, nothing showy.

H.

When I went looking for vacuum oven lining I was told that 316L is a
good balance between durable, workable and price. I bought some as
scrap at $1 a pound. It can be stick-welded, but be careful of the
flux fumes.
http://www.stoodyind.com/Catalogs/FISC/05catpg347.pdf

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/26/2012 9:52 AM, Howard Eisenhauer wrote:
On Sat, 26 May 2012 07:39:35 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

*Snip*

Do you expect it to remain shiny or just last a long time?

The stainless steel exhaust components on Honda cars definitely don't
last forever. My home-made repair parts:
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...18954299040386
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...37862376318882
Some weren't originally stainless, and I've had to replace other
stainless parts I couldn't make.

jsw

Looking for more for longevity& non-rusty more than shiny. This will
be going on a restored '55 CJ5 ( http://tantel.ca/Tonka.html ) just
copying the stock setup, nothing showy.

H.

It depends on whether you live where road salt is used in winter.

http://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/stainless-vs-aluminized-steel-exhaust-system/

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 May 2012 11:56:07 -0500, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

*Snip*

It depends on whether you live where road salt is used in winter.

http://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/stainless-vs-aluminized-steel-exhaust-system/

David

Great link, thanks for that.

Looks like 304 is hat I'm looking for.