Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CNC routing plastics - eye irritant?

I've been playing with my little home brew CNC router cutting some plastic
enclosures and have noticed my eyes are a little sore/gritty afterwards.

I think the enclosures I've been machining are either polystyrene or
polycarbonate, I'm using a straight sided 2 flute 2mm router bit in a Dremel
at about 10,000RPM. The cuts are pretty clean with no melting or burning
that I can see.

Has anyone any experience with this? Perhaps I just need more ventillation?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Dennis" wrote:

I've been playing with my little home brew CNC router cutting some plastic
enclosures and have noticed my eyes are a little sore/gritty afterwards.

I think the enclosures I've been machining are either polystyrene or
polycarbonate, I'm using a straight sided 2 flute 2mm router bit in a Dremel
at about 10,000RPM. The cuts are pretty clean with no melting or burning
that I can see.

Has anyone any experience with this? Perhaps I just need more ventillation?

Or a little bit of water spray to control the dust?

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Dennis" wrote:

I've been playing with my little home brew CNC router cutting some
plastic
enclosures and have noticed my eyes are a little sore/gritty afterwards.

I think the enclosures I've been machining are either polystyrene or
polycarbonate, I'm using a straight sided 2 flute 2mm router bit in a
Dremel
at about 10,000RPM. The cuts are pretty clean with no melting or burning
that I can see.

Has anyone any experience with this? Perhaps I just need more
ventillation?

Or a little bit of water spray to control the dust?

Joe Gwinn

Hi Joe - water spray (even a fine mist) isn't really an option at the moment
as some of the machine components are made from MDF. I've fitted a vacuum
cleaner "shoe" that picks up a lot of the debris.

thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/24/2012 7:26 AM, Dennis wrote:
"Joseph wrote in message
In om.au,
wrote:

[...]

You might extend the vacuum cleaner exhaust to vent outside the
building. There may be clouds of particles getting through the filter
paper, or what ever the vacuum cleaner uses.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul Drahn" wrote in message
On 5/24/2012 7:26 AM, Dennis wrote:
"Joseph wrote in message
In om.au,
wrote:

[...]

Thats a good point Paul, easily done too.

Way off topic - plastics help please... npwbill Metalworking 4 February 14th 08 02:23 PM
Machineability of Plastics John Martin Metalworking 5 January 10th 06 12:22 AM
HCl and plastics [email protected] UK diy 11 July 25th 05 08:49 AM
Car plastics Stinkoman UK diy 3 April 8th 05 06:29 AM
cleaning plastics Orange Electronics Repair 14 August 24th 04 11:40 PM