Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 200v three phase motor, usable at 230?

I have a particular compressor with a Baldor motor that is labeled
"200v".

I am wondering what does it mean exactly, is it usable at 208 volts?

What about 230v?

thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

Ignoramus4879 wrote:

I have a particular compressor with a Baldor motor that is labeled
"200v".

I am wondering what does it mean exactly, is it usable at 208 volts?

What about 230v?

thanks

It was probably meant for an overseas market, most likely Japan. Is
it also 50 Hz?

Regardless it should be FINE at 208 (which is well within its expected
input voltage range).

Or you could always call Baldor and ask.
jk
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-05-01, jk wrote:
Ignoramus4879 wrote:

I have a particular compressor with a Baldor motor that is labeled
"200v".

I am wondering what does it mean exactly, is it usable at 208 volts?

What about 230v?

thanks

It was probably meant for an overseas market, most likely Japan. Is
it also 50 Hz?

Regardless it should be FINE at 208 (which is well within its expected
input voltage range).

Or you could always call Baldor and ask.
jk

I will call them tomorrow. 200v is the new "new age" rating for 208v
supply, as it turns out.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 1, 7:39*pm, Ignoramus4879
wrote:
I have a particular compressor with a Baldor motor that is labeled
"200v".

I am wondering what does it mean exactly, is it usable at 208 volts?

What about 230v?

thanks

Motors and transformers will saturate if the product of the voltage
and time is too high. So you can figure that a motor rated at 200
volts and 50 hz has the same ET product as a motor rated at 240 volts
and 60 hz.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 May 2012 20:26:04 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 14 May 2012 16:26:31 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."

On 2012-05-01, jk wrote:
Ignoramus4879 wrote:

I have a particular compressor with a Baldor motor that is labeled
"200v".

I am wondering what does it mean exactly, is it usable at 208 volts?

What about 230v?

thanks
It was probably meant for an overseas market, most likely Japan. Is
it also 50 Hz?

Regardless it should be FINE at 208 (which is well within its expected
input voltage range).

Or you could always call Baldor and ask.
jk

I will call them tomorrow. 200v is the new "new age" rating for 208v
supply, as it turns out.

208V is the nominal voltage supplied by the utility to the metering point.
Your motor is rated at 200V at its terminals to allow for some drop between
your service entrance, through feeders, branch circuits, etc.

230V (the actual nominal supply voltage is 240V) is probably too high for
that motor. Unless it has some special provisions for reconnecting the
windings.

That being said..there are literally millions of Japanese electric
motors running in machine tools and have been for 30 yrs or more..and
virtually all of them are rated at 200 vts..and yet have been running on
240.

Gunner

It might be dual rated 200V 50Hz, 1500 or 3000 RPM for the Japanese
and Asian markets, and 208/230V 60Hz, 1800 or 3600 RPM for American
and European markets. BOOM they just covered the entire globe with
one motor.

Note that 208V nominal is between two legs of an American 120/208V
3-phase 4-wire Wye system very common in small industrial parks and
large multiple-occupancy apartment or condominium buildings. 240V is
both the phases of a 120/240V single-phase residential service. And
in Europe the 240V is their residential service. So one motor works
darned near everywhere.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/1/2012 7:39 PM, Ignoramus4879 wrote:
I have a particular compressor with a Baldor motor that is labeled
"200v".

I am wondering what does it mean exactly, is it usable at 208 volts?

What about 230v?

thanks

I've had a couple in the shop running for years, they don't seem to get
hot. I've never checked the RPM, it wasn't important for the jobs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-05-01, jk wrote:
Ignoramus4879 wrote:

[...]

To prevent saturation, you have to maintain a constant V/f ratio. Magically,
a 200V/50Hz motor works out to 240/60Hz.

--
Paul Hovnanian
You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!