Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Looking for 15hp 3ph motor

Hi all, it's been a long time since I visited but I see a few familiar
names.

I'm looking to build a phase converter and need a 15 hp 3 phase 230v
1750 rpm motor. I'm in the Albany NY area. Get back to me here or the
email listed will work with the obvious edit.

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Andrew wrote:

Hi all, it's been a long time since I visited but I see a few familiar
names.

I'm looking to build a phase converter and need a 15 hp 3 phase 230v
1750 rpm motor. I'm in the Albany NY area. Get back to me here or the
email listed will work with the obvious edit.

Sure you electric service can handle this? The line current will
be in the neighborhood of 75 A idling, and way higher when it starts.
Some power factor caps will help some with the running current.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:36:52 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Andrew wrote:

Hi all, it's been a long time since I visited but I see a few familiar
names.

I'm looking to build a phase converter and need a 15 hp 3 phase 230v
1750 rpm motor. I'm in the Albany NY area. Get back to me here or the
email listed will work with the obvious edit.

Sure you electric service can handle this? The line current will
be in the neighborhood of 75 A idling, and way higher when it starts.
Some power factor caps will help some with the running current.

Jon

I have a 25 total hp. phase converter. its on a 100 amp circuit
breaker. A 10 hp starts and then several seconds later a 15 hp comes
in. The first motor start dims the lights on the whole place. Second
one doesn't do much. Now, when i start the Mazak M4 with the 20 hp.
spindle you really see the lights dim.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Andrew wrote:

Hi all, it's been a long time since I visited but I see a few familiar
names.

I'm looking to build a phase converter and need a 15 hp 3 phase 230v
1750 rpm motor. I'm in the Albany NY area. Get back to me here or the
email listed will work with the obvious edit.

Sure you electric service can handle this? The line current will
be in the neighborhood of 75 A idling, and way higher when it starts.
Some power factor caps will help some with the running current.

Jon

I have a 25 total hp. phase converter. its on a 100 amp circuit
breaker. A 10 hp starts and then several seconds later a 15 hp comes
in. The first motor start dims the lights on the whole place. Second
one doesn't do much. Now, when i start the Mazak M4 with the 20 hp.
spindle you really see the lights dim.

I have a 50 and a 30, similar setup except I manually start the smaller unit on an as-needed basis...

I'm only using the 50 today but a quick check with a clamp-on shows about 55 amps ( apparent power )--this is with a couple of machines on line but not actually cutting.

Startup is a different issue though--yes my lights dim a bit even with a 75kva single phase transformer and 13,500 volt primary.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-04-30, Jon Elson wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Hi all, it's been a long time since I visited but I see a few familiar
names.

I'm looking to build a phase converter and need a 15 hp 3 phase 230v
1750 rpm motor. I'm in the Albany NY area. Get back to me here or the
email listed will work with the obvious edit.

Sure you electric service can handle this? The line current will
be in the neighborhood of 75 A idling, and way higher when it starts.
Some power factor caps will help some with the running current.

He will likely see 180 starting amps.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Andrew wrote:

[...]

Nothing dims for me, I have 800 amps of clean 3 phase supply
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/30/2012 5:34 PM, Ignoramus16222 wrote:

Nothing dims for me, I have 800 amps of clean 3 phase supply

There ya' go. Just run a long cord to your float; no genset needed...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Andrew wrote:

[...]

Sounds nice but since I also have tons of wildlife, a private firing range and a total of about 3 neighbors living closer than a mile away, I think I'm just going stay where I'm at for the time being.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-05-01, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
Nothing dims for me, I have 800 amps of clean 3 phase supply

Sounds nice but since I also have tons of wildlife, a private firing
range and a total of about 3 neighbors living closer than a mile
away, I think I'm just going stay where I'm at for the time being.

I have an indoor firing range too. Just used it extensively last
weekend.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Andrew" wrote in message
Hi all, it's been a long time since I visited but I see a few familiar
names.

I'm looking to build a phase converter and need a 15 hp 3 phase 230v
1750 rpm motor. I'm in the Albany NY area. Get back to me here or the
email listed will work with the obvious edit.

Thanks

What no one is mentioning here is that you don't need one 15 hp motor....
you can kluge any number of smaller hp motors together, which, I suspect,
will wind up giving better regulation. I have 2's, 5's, 10's in a
switchable bank, and rarely get past the 5's.

But no matter.... just separate your starting caps from your running caps
(altho you can leave in partial start caps for the run mode, whatever brings
the 3rd leg to a reasonable value), and try to base your running cap values
on anticipated load, if using electronics. Or separate out the electronics
so they don't rely on the generated leg.

You only need start caps for the first idler started, and then just
sequentially bring in the other idlers as needed, and finalize with suitable
run caps. I have a bunch of switchable caps so's I can fiddle with the 3rd
leg voltage depending on load and idlers. Don't switch caps in/out while
electronic loads are connected, tho.
--
EA