Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DIY CNC - errors in lead screw thread.

I've just test run a little CNC router / mill I've put together.

At the moment I'm using M10 x 1.5mm pitch allthread for the lead screws and
PVC blocks for the nuts.

I've calibrated the axes (Mach3) using the 1.5mm leadscrew pitch and the
known motor steps/rev.

With a dial gauge on an axis, when I do a 1mm move sometimes I see 0.90mm or
0.95, sometimes 1.0. It seems repeatable, ie if I reverse the steps I see
the same values.

What do people think? I guess this is typical for cheap bit of allthread
from the local hardware store?

ACME leadscrews are on the drawing board when finances are willing....