Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Re-case trimmer

Greetings Karl,
If I had to trim a bunch of cases I'd do it in the mill. Using a V
block and a toggle clamp would probably work well. If you mount the
toggle clamp at an angle such that it moves toward the primer end when
clamping then the case would be pulled tight against the mill table
and the lengths would repeat closely. I have mounted on my Bridgeport
a switch that is controled by an adjustable screw that mounts in the
quill stop. I use this switch to control a solenoid operated air
valve. I have several air clamps that I've cobbled up from air
cylinders and the like. When the quill is raised the switch turns on
the solenoid which in turn opens the air clamp. If you have enough
cases to trim you could save a lot of time. I'll bet a cycle time,
part to part, of less than 7 seconds, would be esay to attain. I could
post pictures of the switch setup and a clamp or too if anybody is
interested.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message ...
[...]

I generally use an air-actuated vise in a cnc mill for that kind of thing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

wrote in message ...
[...]

One of those air operated 5C collet closers periodically seen in the
ENCO flyers perhaps?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message . com...

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

wrote in message ...
[...]

No, I was actually referring to one of these type:

http://www.heinrichco.com/savise.htm

But personally I use a Kurt 6in vise that I've fitted up a special pair of 10in long jaws and two of the enerpac 1in diameter cylinders fitted to it which works fine with air for light duty holding--I wire the solenoid valve up use a spare M-function and so the nc program automatically does the clamping/unclamping for me...

Otherwise, for heavier duty work I'll connect hydraulic up to the same setup using a haskell m21 pump which gives me 2100psi hydraulic pressure provided an air supply of 100 psi.

Clamping action is pretty quick because the cylinders have a relatively short stroke and so the total fluid displacement volume is maybe 1/2 cup tops.

The enerpac cylinders are actually swing clamps which can be readily re-configured for straight, left right hand swing and they are flange-mounted and so they are also easily moved from one fixture to another.....I actually use them quite a bit here...

http://images.drillspot.com/pimages/8153/815333_300.jpg ---dual-acting so they can push as well as pull

--one nice thing is that when they unclamp they make a distinctive noise which alerts operators that the machining cycle has completed--makes it easier to keep production levels up where you have several machines all making noise at the same time.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 15:46:41 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

wrote in message ...
[...]

HELL OF AN IDEA! I've got four of these. I could set the whole table
up and put cases in while the machine runs. I'll grind a 5/16 counter
bore down to .300 for the tool. Bet it will do cases faster than I can
load them.

Thanks

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

wrote in message ...
[...]

Dillon Precision makes (made?) a really nice one that goes in any press.
The shell holder goes with the press so you probably already have it. I
use it in an RCBS single stage press and it is quick.

BobH

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message . com...

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

wrote in message ...
[...]

I understood what you meant about the vise, I was just proposing that an
air collet closer might work well. Setup that noted switch on the mill
quill to control an air valve, then just place a shell into the collet
against the stop with one hand and pull the mill quill handle down with
the other, automatically clamping before the cutter reaches the shell
and automatically unclamping when the quill returns up. Seems pretty
fast.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
. com...

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
. com...

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Depends on which type of cartridge rim you are dealing with.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 18:36:02 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

wrote in message ...
[...]

I have an air operated 5C closer made by Eagle Rock (I think). It's a
good unit made in the USA. I have a piece of 4 inch wide bar stock
bolted to the underside of the thing. I clamp the bar stock in the 6
inch vise on the mill so setting it up is real fast. I bored a hole
through the bar stock so that a collet stop or long parts can be used
with the bar stock in place.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

wrote in message ...
[...]

I'm sure the limiting factor will be loading/unloading speed. Let us
know how it works for ya.
Eric

Ever get ill after using a line-trimmer? ShadowTek[_2_] Home Repair 62 May 5th 19 11:42 PM
case trimmer Karl Townsend Metalworking 18 March 5th 12 03:11 AM
MITER TRIMMER Nicky Woodworking 0 January 14th 07 08:02 PM
FA AMT Miter trimmer Tony D. Woodworking 0 October 1st 03 06:13 AM