Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Re-case trimmer

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 18:36:02 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

wrote in message ...
Greetings Karl,
If I had to trim a bunch of cases I'd do it in the mill. Using a V
block and a toggle clamp would probably work well. If you mount the
toggle clamp at an angle such that it moves toward the primer end when
clamping then the case would be pulled tight against the mill table
and the lengths would repeat closely. I have mounted on my Bridgeport
a switch that is controled by an adjustable screw that mounts in the
quill stop. I use this switch to control a solenoid operated air
valve. I have several air clamps that I've cobbled up from air
cylinders and the like. When the quill is raised the switch turns on
the solenoid which in turn opens the air clamp. If you have enough
cases to trim you could save a lot of time. I'll bet a cycle time,
part to part, of less than 7 seconds, would be esay to attain. I could
post pictures of the switch setup and a clamp or too if anybody is
interested.

I generally use an air-actuated vise in a cnc mill for that kind of thing.

One of those air operated 5C collet closers periodically seen in the
ENCO flyers perhaps?

I have an air operated 5C closer made by Eagle Rock (I think). It's a
good unit made in the USA. I have a piece of 4 inch wide bar stock
bolted to the underside of the thing. I clamp the bar stock in the 6
inch vise on the mill so setting it up is real fast. I bored a hole
through the bar stock so that a collet stop or long parts can be used
with the bar stock in place.
Eric