Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The case against patents.... inneresting take....

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 20:22:54 -0800 (PST), "\"D\""
wrote:

On Feb 24, 1:49*pm, DougC wrote:
On 2/24/2012 3:17 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:

"Existential *wrote in message
Case against patents:
http://www.tinaja.com/glib/casagpat.pdf
Lots more of this, as Lancaster is prolific, to say the least.

Whaddaya think? *Certainly an original inneresting take, that I can find
nowhere else on the web.
Most of the search retrievals involved the ethics, constitutionality,
economic-growth-type implications, but not pure CYA effectivenss of the
patenting process.

Here or elsewhere, he does peg a kind of "break-even point" for a patent,
as $12 mil is sales -- if you expect to sell $12 mil worth of your
product, then mebbe patent it. *This was in 1993, tho.
--
EA

IF you read the PDF at all, just read the first few pages. It's just the
same thing being said over and over again (not that it's not true; it
just a waste of time to read the entire thing).

Every one of my nine patents has been stolen and produced in China. *My
lawyer asked me how much money do I want to throw away.

This is what I have heard as well. Some countries are still very good
towards individuals' patent rights (Japan being one) but others (like
the US and China) are a joke.

A patent is only worthwhile as long as you have another $250K to defend
it, every time it is attacked or violated.- Hide quoted text -

Several folks have asked my why I havent patented my rocker arms, this
was my answer: After 30k-50k of search fees and atty fees, what will
it protect me from?
Profit?

Exactly. That's why I never pursued a patent on my NoteSHADES(tm)
glare and privacy guards. Ten years later, I wouldn't have cleared the
patent fees, let alone any infringement lawsuit costs against others.

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

The case against patents.... inneresting take.... Pete C. Metalworking 7 February 28th 12 02:39 AM
The case against patents.... inneresting take.... Pete C. Metalworking 0 February 24th 12 08:03 PM
OT-Patents azotic[_4_] Metalworking 4 September 2nd 10 10:39 PM
Patents on the Blumlein Bridge Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 3 April 15th 09 04:57 AM
Patents SawStop & Dr. Gass The Other Funk Woodworking 7 September 10th 06 04:13 AM