Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default REALLY Heavy metal work

Like most of us (baby boomers) I grew up in a world that already had
nuclear weapons. We did "Duck and Cover" drills in school, and I
thought I had a fair notion about how these things worked.

But this photo (second one on this page) of the PU core of the
"Fat Man" implosion device - it's so small...fit's in your hand.

http://simplethinking.com/home/nuclear_weapons.htm

The majority of the energy release is nearly instantaneous, the mean
time from neutron release to fission can be of the order of 10
nanoseconds, and the chain reaction builds exponentially. The result is
that greater than 99% of the very considerable energy released in an
atomic explosion is generated in the last few (typically 4-5)
generations of fission -- less than a tenth of a microsecond.*

This tremendous energy release in a small space over fantastically short
periods of time creates some unusual phenomena -- physical conditions
that have no equal on earth, no matter how much TNT is stacked up.

A fascinating collection of high speed photos...

http://simplethinking.com/home/rapat...hotographs.htm

http://simplethinking.com/home/rapatronic_2.shtml

and the "rope tricks"...
http://simplethinking.com/home/rapatronic_3.shtml

Heavy Metal Larry Jaques[_4_] Metalworking 13 September 11th 11 02:24 AM
Heavy Metal Work cavelamb Metalworking 5 March 3rd 10 11:46 PM
Heavy Metal, a Really Big Motorcycle pyotr filipivich Metalworking 11 October 20th 08 02:30 PM
Drill Press For Metal Work Versus Wood Work Will[_3_] Metalworking 29 November 4th 07 10:38 PM
heavy-metal tiscali Metalworking 0 May 22nd 05 09:12 PM