Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default tips on modifying a tap for mill

I've been "practicing" with mill threading with a tap. At least for now,
I really can't see dropping a couple of hundred bucks on a 'proper'
threading mill bit, so I've been fooling with a modified tap. I do this
about once in a blue moon. But I have a project that requires a lot of
1.5" holes to be tapped 1" deep at 10tpi.

I started with a 3/4"x 10tpi tap, and ground off all but one flute.

It works - ehh... - OK, but the surface finish sucks. Partly, that's
likely due to having to mill conventional, since the lead of the threads
is in that direction.

I'm thinking it might also be partly due to the rest of the teeth on that
flute sort of "rubbing" the work, and maybe also due to the thickness of
the flute (so the teeth are slightly over-cutting the top and bottom
shoulders of the vee on entry and exit from the profile.

So I'm thinking of removing all but four or five teeth, and thinning the
flute -- but this is my only 3/4x10 tap/thread mill to work with, and I'd
rather not ruin it just trying out an idea.

Any of you folks fooled around with doing thread milling by modifying a
tap; and does it do decent work?

Thanks,
Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
[...]

??? Didn't you say you already basically ruined as a regular tap ???

I have made taps out of bolts before. They work good for chasing a thread,
but only fair for tapping a smooth hole. I have made taps out of acme
threaded rod before. They work awesome in plastic, and horrible in
aluminum. Ok. I have some threaded couplers made out of aluminum I tapped
with one, but it was a nightmare.

For tapping with the mill I have a small 3/16 right hand boring bar and a
3/16 left hand boring bar that have a nice 60 degree point. I use these
with Mach 3 NFS threading wizard, or if I am being anal I create a helix in
CAD, and then tool mops relative to it in CAM.

I've never used an actual tap on one of my mills. I do use a small tapping
head on one of the drill presses though. Nor have I deliberately broken a
tap... the truth of which is not necessarily born out by the number broken
taps I have thrown away...

If any of that helps... Yeah! I am a hero. If not, then I'll waive the
consulting fee.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott fired this volley in
:

You beat me to it. With nearly 3/4 of an inch of hole to play with,

you
should be able to make a nice stout boring bar and use an insert for

the
sharp part.

Yeah... I'm going to have to run the trig on the point. Obviously, since
it's cutting a little on the lagging bottom shoulder and a little on the
leading top shoulder, then unlike a regular 60-degree point, it's going
to have to be a smaller angle.

And that may very well be why my tap isn't giving a decent cut, yet.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:04:51 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

[...]

have you heard of the Devlieg microbore line?
http://tinyurl.com/79g7e25

A very rigid bar holds a brazed carbide insert. Grind the insert to a
60 degree angle but with a lot of relief on the bottom (for threading
right hand going down)

You really need a good baldor carbide grinder and preferably an
optical comparator to check your grinding. Given all this, single
point thread milling "werks grate"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend fired this volley in
:

have you heard of the Devlieg microbore line?
http://tinyurl.com/79g7e25

Karl,

I can't even imagine how an adjustable boring bar would help in this
case. I have an adjustable boring head of the off-set slide type.

But insert-style (indexable carbide, and not) internal threading tools
are a LOT cheaper, and in this case, more flexible than that... those
cartridges are outrageously expensive.

The grinding of a healthy relief on the bottom is important, but more
important would be grinding the angle to less than 60-degrees to make up
for cutting on the lag and lead.

A single-point threading mill would give its best profile when as small a
cutter radius as possible, commensurate with enough stiffness and thread
depth.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
Tim Wescott fired this volley in
:

You beat me to it. With nearly 3/4 of an inch of hole to play with,

you
should be able to make a nice stout boring bar and use an insert for

the
sharp part.

Yeah... I'm going to have to run the trig on the point. Obviously, since
it's cutting a little on the lagging bottom shoulder and a little on the
leading top shoulder, then unlike a regular 60-degree point, it's going
to have to be a smaller angle.

And that may very well be why my tap isn't giving a decent cut, yet.

A modified tap is NEVER going to give you a decent cut unless you completely
grind away all but one flute, then grind all but one tooth off of the
remaining flute, and THEN grind a portion of the upper face of the single
remaining tooth away in a manner that provides a proper primary clearance
angle on BOTH sides of the resultant 'vee' tooth form.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 19:10:34 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
[...]

ya, you want about 1/2 or at most 2/3 diameter from single point tool
to bore on thread mill. I scored a whole set of micro bores real
cheap, also drawers and drawers of inserts. I like to grind the form
on just the brazed insert with the baldor and then put it on the
optical comparator. I've done threads, timing pulleys, and gears this
way. Works a treat.

Probably a case of use what you have.

karl

Modifying a saw blade gilli UK diy 2 September 9th 09 08:51 PM
Radius end mill tips (by hand) DC[_2_] Metalworking 6 April 24th 08 10:20 PM
Modifying snowblower klp1 Home Repair 6 November 3rd 05 01:25 PM
Ode to Sieg's mini mill and buncha observations/tips rashid111 Metalworking 1 July 5th 05 05:01 PM
Modifying Christmas L barry martin Home Repair 0 December 21st 03 01:37 PM