Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default tips on modifying a tap for mill

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:28:49 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

. 70...
"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in news:1HU0r.8235$I%
:

??? Didn't you say you already basically ruined as a regular tap ???

Yeah, but it's my only one, and it's "sort of" working as a threading
mill right now. Just don't want to make it worse.

I started out with a 3/16" boring bar, Bob. It was too flexible, and
just sang to beat the band. The tap cuts quietly.

I'll try making up a LH boring bar, and cutting in climb.

Lloyd

You can always make a much bigger boring bar.

You beat me to it. With nearly 3/4 of an inch of hole to play with, you
should be able to make a nice stout boring bar and use an insert for the
sharp part.

Not, mind you, that I've ever done this myself -- I've ground tools for
inside single-point threading out of tool steel, but I haven't made an
actual monotonous rod.

http://www.wescottdesign.com