Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default cutting (US) pipe taper thread

On 2/9/2012 8:02 AM, Ignoramus13761 wrote:
I have a ****load of pipe taps up to 5 inches NPT.

On 2012-02-09, om wrote:

"Tim wrote in message
On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 00:18:21 -0600, DougC wrote:

On 2/9/2012 12:06 AM, DougC wrote:
I had assumed there would be taps& dies for this. I have found many
sources for cheap dies (pipe threading kits) but no taps yet, and the
dies are "long" because they are for threading pipe.... Is there any
'normal' taps& dies sold for this, at a /relatively/ cheap price? I
just need the one 3/8"-18 size, internal& external.

Well really, it looks like it is easiest& fastest to just order a
T-fitting and nipples already made off of McMaster,,, but I am still
curious.

The methods that I have seen for cutting tapers (or tapered threads) on
a normal lathe is to offset the tailstock, and spin the part between
centers... but you can't do that if you're cutting internal threads.

So that is why I am wondering how to cut internal tapered threads on a
manual lathe without a taper attachment, or if it can even be done.

You can get taps.

Hand grind a few flutes onto an old pipe plug and use it as a ****ing tap
for christ sakes.

Ig, how do we get a look at your goods? Are they priced anywhere?

I would like to find several things. I work for a school district, so
bargains are always appreciated. We could use a drill chuck mounted on
MT2 to be used on a wood lathe and a 3 or 4 jaw chuck that could mount
to 1"x8 RH. I keep hoping to come across a tapping head to mount on a
drill press.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DougC wrote:

Is both the male & female threads tapered, or just the male? I cannot
see from the examples I have on hand if it is both or not. Wikipedia
seems to indicate both are.

Both are tapered. At least for NPT.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller