Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "Unleash the pnies - er Mustangs!" was Apple - VS Made in America?

Gunner Asch on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 01:42:18 -0800
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 09:04:15 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I don't remember what the song was. A whole lot of people moved north in days past from
the agrarian south to cities like Detroit to make high wages. That worked for a while but
now many of them are trapped in inner cites with no hope.

See
http://www.library.jhu.edu/collectio...gwar/farm.html

I wonder if history will do a repeat?

Wes

The move to Detroit was, if I remember correctly, to take advantage of
very much higher wages paid in the factories there as apposed to be a
sharecropper in the South. The situation in many parts of Asia are the
same. Take a job at the new factory for a salary or stay at home and
get practically nothing for harder work.

But it wasn't the workers who caused the exodus out of Detroit, it was
the unions and the manufacturers who caused that move. The workers
were very much the victims.

As for history, it does tend to repeat itself.

--
John B.

Keep in mind..that Detroit was a very very prosperous economy for nearly
70 yrs. Most of those big hotels and factories were built in the
1900-1930s..and Detroit didnt start to decline until the late 1970s

It worked just fine for all those years..until something happened to it.
Primarily the Unions became greedy and forced manufacturing to
dramatically raise their prices. In 1964 the Ford Mustang cost $3000 out
the door

Seen this yet?

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/ford-rei...5-mustang.html

Neat. Now all Ford has to do is put the last fifty years of
technical improvements in side, and I'd say they probably would have a
big seller.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It should be noted..that they are charging $15 THOUSAND dollars for the
complete sheet metal. No frame, no wiring, no motor..just the stampings.

A bit..much.....

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "Unleash the ponies - er Mustangs!" was Apple - VS Made in America?

Gunner Asch on Wed, 25 Jan 2012 02:24:27 -0800

wrote:

[...]

For such short runs? Of course. With inflation, the 1964 Mustang
would run you around $18 Gs today. So, ramp up production, get the
economies of scale and sell them for 20 -25 K, make a fortune.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

So what would this 2012 production-legal Mustang look like?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 14 Feb 2012 00:33:00 -0800
wrote:

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/ford-rei...5-mustang.html

Neat. Now all Ford has to do is put the last fifty years of
technical improvements in side, and I'd say they probably would have a
big seller.

tschus

It should be noted..that they are charging $15 THOUSAND dollars for the
complete sheet metal. No frame, no wiring, no motor..just the stampings.

A bit..much.....

For such short runs? Of course. With inflation, the 1964 Mustang
would run you around $18 Gs today. So, ramp up production, get the
economies of scale and sell them for 20 -25 K, make a fortune.

So what would this 2012 production-legal Mustang look like?

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/ford-rei...5-mustang.html

Yeah, just like that.

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 20:24:12 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Tue, 14 Feb 2012 00:33:00 -0800

So what would this 2012 production-legal Mustang look like?

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/ford-rei...5-mustang.html

Yeah, just like that.

These aren't meant for "Volume Production" per se - there are a lot of
those old Ponycars on the road that have been fixed and restored and
fixed again - with the Unibody all rotted out from road salt, one of
the first really popular Unibody cars.

All those body-shell stampings have been available as individual
repair parts for years, but you need a body shop to tear the car apart
in and weld in the repairs and the results can be highly variable...
They've never sold the bodies already jigged up straight and true and
welded together as a complete assembly - and with a primer dip too.

Now you can order the replacement body-shell, finish the prep, do the
Paint, rebuild and transfer over the powertrain and interior from your
old Mustang, and have a "New" old car.

(Well, for another 15 - 20 years, then you'll have to do it again...)

There's one wrinkle that they have to address - you can certainly just
do it and keep your mouth shut, but I wonder if it's really legal to
transfer over the VIN Number tags, section in the body rail parts that
have the "Hidden" stamped VIN, and make it your "old" car in the
fresh body shell.

I could see a system where you order the "new" body with your old VIN
already stamped in (because they keep control the special die stamps
for those numbers) and the closest Dealer transfers over and rivets in
the VIN plate when you're done because they control the special
security-head rivets.

And AIUI wrecking yards aren't supposed to accept the old body shell
without the VIN on it for destruction and melt-down. They need to
invent some new paperwork for the purpose, or chop it up first.

Would have to be addressed on a per-state basis unless the Feds come
up with a rule that covers everyone.

It's the "Grandpa's Axe" conundrum - We've changed the handle a dozen
times, and the head wore out twice, but it's still "Grandpa's Axe."

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Gunner Asch on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 01:42:18 -0800
typed in rec.crafts.metalworking *the following:

http://www.library.jhu.edu/collectio...ns/sheetmusic/....

[...]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Gunner Asch- Hide quoted text -

So that's only $1500 in '65 dollars, applying my x10 rule for '60s
prices. Of course, my Dad bought a new '67 Rambler for about that. A
Ford LTD wagon was about $2200. We're rapidly heading for a one cent
dollar.

Stan