Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default EMC to Linux CNC name change

Just a heads up for the CNC hobby types among us.

EMC2 is now called LinuxCNC
http://www.linuxcnc.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Just a heads up for the CNC hobby types among us.

EMC2 is now called LinuxCNC
http://www.linuxcnc.org/

I ain't so sure, Karl.

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wik...nstalling_EMC2

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I read this company has a copyright and is complaining.
http://www.emc.com/utilities/globals...l?checked=true

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
I read this company has a copyright and is complaining.
http://www.emc.com/utilities/globals...l?checked=true

Why not 'Acme CNC'?

--Winston-- *Positively Loves* EMC^2 and LinuxCNC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
Just a heads up for the CNC hobby types among us.

EMC2 is now called LinuxCNC
http://www.linuxcnc.org/

I ain't so sure, Karl.

Well, we are in the process of changing all the names, everywhere.
But, it is a big job, between the actual code, the documentation,
the Wiki, the discussion forums, the SourceForge mailing lists, etc.
there is a LOT to change.

The LinuxCNC website has been there for 6 years, so that doesn't need
to change, just the name we call the actual software by.

I've already completed most of the changes in my stuff.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 06:55:44 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
I read this company has a copyright and is complaining.
http://www.emc.com/utilities/globals...l?checked=true

Why not 'Acme CNC'?

They couldn't get Wiley to sign off on it.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:
Winston wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
Just a heads up for the CNC hobby types among us.

EMC2 is now called LinuxCNC
http://www.linuxcnc.org/

I ain't so sure, Karl.

Well, we are in the process of changing all the names, everywhere.
But, it is a big job, between the actual code, the documentation,
the Wiki, the discussion forums, the SourceForge mailing lists, etc.
there is a LOT to change.

The LinuxCNC website has been there for 6 years, so that doesn't need
to change, just the name we call the actual software by.

I've already completed most of the changes in my stuff.

I stand corrected (without orthopedic sneakers).

Thanks for the info, Karl and Jon.
http://www.linuxcnc.org/

("You missed a spot", Tom remarked):
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wik...nstalling_EMC2

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
I read this company has a copyright and is complaining.
http://www.emc.com/utilities/globals...l?checked=true

Why not 'Acme CNC'?

They couldn't get Wiley to sign off on it.

Heh! Here I was thinking that no one would likely
contest *that* name. Turns out I was mistaken:
http://www.acmecnc.com/

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
I read this company has a copyright and is complaining.
http://www.emc.com/utilities/globals...l?checked=true

Why not 'Acme CNC'?

They couldn't get Wiley to sign off on it.

Heh! Here I was thinking that no one would likely
contest *that* name. Turns out I was mistaken:
http://www.acmecnc.com/

I'll let Señor Coyote know that. He'll surely contest it.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
-- J. Arthur Thomson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-24, Karl Townsend wrote:
Just a heads up for the CNC hobby types among us.

EMC2 is now called LinuxCNC
http://www.linuxcnc.org/

Intersting. There used to be an earlier version, just called
EMC, and there appears to be some other package somewhere (not sure for
what OS) which is currently called EMC, and frequently has reports of
security holes on the CERT advisories. I haven't bothered to try to
find out what it really does, or what OS it runs on.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564