Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to renew contacts on a contactor you can't get anymore?

Since Iggy wants to take them off, I thougth I'd ask how do you renew them. I have an old
machine at work that has a Furnas contactor that has a one flaky set of contacts and hte
contactor isn't available, nor will anything modern fit.

Would silver braze work to build them up? Is there a brazing stick made for repairing
contacts?

Thanks,

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-22, Wes wrote:
Since Iggy wants to take them off, I thougth I'd ask how do you renew them. I have an old
machine at work that has a Furnas contactor that has a one flaky set of contacts and hte
contactor isn't available, nor will anything modern fit.

Would silver braze work to build them up? Is there a brazing stick made for repairing
contacts?

What's the model of the Furnas? Maybe I have one.

The ones that I want to take off, are huge. 3/4 ounce each, I am
guessing.

As for renewing contacts, I would unbraze the old contacts and fab and
make new ones from proper silver alloy. ($$$$)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/22/2012 5:29 PM, Wes wrote:
Since Iggy wants to take them off, I thougth I'd ask how do you renew them. I have an old
machine at work that has a Furnas contactor that has a one flaky set of contacts and hte
contactor isn't available, nor will anything modern fit.

Would silver braze work to build them up? Is there a brazing stick made for repairing
contacts?

Thanks,

Wes

I have a bunch of old contactors that I have to make new contacts for.
Go to a jewelry making supply shop and get a slab of Silver (I use fine)
and some sheets of silver construction solder, soft, medium or hard...I
use soft. Also get some liquid spray-on flux. The rest is
self-evident. I don't think I've ever had to replace my home-made
contacts, they must use **** alloy in the first place.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-22, wrote:
Since Iggy wants to take them off, I thougth I'd ask how do you renew them. I have an old
machine at work that has a Furnas contactor that has a one flaky set of contacts and hte
contactor isn't available, nor will anything modern fit.

Would silver braze work to build them up? Is there a brazing stick made for repairing
contacts?

What's the model of the Furnas? Maybe I have one.

The ones that I want to take off, are huge. 3/4 ounce each, I am
guessing.

As for renewing contacts, I would unbraze the old contacts and fab and
make new ones from proper silver alloy. ($$$$)

I heard years ago that coin silver (90/10 silver/copper)
is close to ideal. Find some junk silver dimes and
braze them in maybe?