Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ping Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I may never get around to doing anything about using solar heating,
but I do have the best intentions. And would like to build some solar
panels and come up with some heat storage. Probably will not do
anything until I finish putting in more insulation.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Experime...perimental.htm has some
interesting information including some information about using Calcium
Chloride Hexahydrate as a phase change material. In addition to the
Calcium Chloride one needs some sodium and potassium chloride. and
some Strorntium Chloride hexahydrate. And I have not found a good
source for the Strontium Chloride.

I thought since you are involved pyrotechnics Lloyd, you might know of
a good source.

I am planning on using solar power to cut the heating costs down. Not
an effort to eliminate conventional heating. So a relatively modest
effort. When it is a sunny day, the furnace is not needed after about
8:30 in the morning until evening. So I think a couple of solar panels
and some heat storage could make a significant reduction in fuel used.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

snip

And I have not found a good source for the Strontium Chloride.

I thought since you are involved pyrotechnics Lloyd, you might know of
a good source.

skylighter.com

Might have it, or could probably help you source some.

I am planning on using solar power to cut the heating costs down. Not
an effort to eliminate conventional heating. So a relatively modest
effort. When it is a sunny day, the furnace is not needed after about
8:30 in the morning until evening. So I think a couple of solar panels
and some heat storage could make a significant reduction in fuel used.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...ce_Heating.htm

Alternatively, try googling "beer can solar"...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:l6qdnZBynZqURWLTnZ2dnUVZ_qWdnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

wrote in message

snip

And I have not found a good source for the Strontium Chloride.

I thought since you are involved pyrotechnics Lloyd, you might know of
a good source.

skylighter.com

Might have it, or could probably help you source some.

I am planning on using solar power to cut the heating costs down. Not
an effort to eliminate conventional heating. So a relatively modest
effort. When it is a sunny day, the furnace is not needed after about
8:30 in the morning until evening. So I think a couple of solar panels
and some heat storage could make a significant reduction in fuel used.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...ce_Heating.htm

Alternatively, try googling "beer can solar"...

Oh and I almost forgot--there's also this guy who used to post on usenet
quite a bit abou tit :

http://www.iedu.com/Solar/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" fired this volley in news:ccf292c5-
:

Calcium Chloride one needs some sodium and potassium chloride. and
some Strorntium Chloride hexahydrate. And I have not found a good
source for the Strontium Chloride.

Hummel Croton Chemical Company, South Plainfield, New Jersey
www.hummelcroton.com

908-754-1800

Ask for Gail, and tell her the Santore's sent you.

I don't know about small quantities... they sell primarily by "the
bucket". We use strontium chloride to color nitrocellulose flames.

For very small amounts (1lb), you might try www.skylighter.com

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 1, 7:26*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Hummel Croton Chemical Company, South Plainfield, New Jerseywww.hummelcroton.com

908-754-1800

Ask for Gail, and tell her the Santore's sent you.

I don't know about small quantities... *they sell primarily by "the
bucket". *We use strontium chloride to color nitrocellulose flames.

For very small amounts (1lb), you might trywww.skylighter.com

LLoyd

Thanks. I looked at both web sites. Skyligter has several Strontium
compounds but not the chloride. Hummel Croton has the chloride in 250
lb drums. When I get closer to wanting it, I will give them a call.
Thanks again.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" fired this volley in news:aae0c1d5-
:

Hummel Croton has the chloride in 250
lb drums.

They also have it in 50lb buckets, if that size suits you better.
(that's the quantity we buy)
LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 1, 12:48*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
" fired this volley in news:aae0c1d5-
:

Hummel Croton has the chloride in 250
lb drums.

They also have it in 50lb buckets, if that size suits you better.
(that's the quantity we buy)
LLoyd

That is good to know. Much closer to the amount I would need. The
web site says 2% is the optimum amount. So ten lbs would be enough
for about 500 lbs of calcium chloride. But probably cheaper to buy 50
lbs from Hummel Croton than to buy 10 lbs most places.

Dan