Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sears, I'll miss the tools

On Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:14:34 PM UTC-5, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

Pictures attached to the complaint show metal parts from Austria, Denmark,
China, India and Mexico on Craftsman tools labeled as "Made in the USA."

"Sears has falsely touted Craftsman tools as 'Made in the USA' when the
Federal Trade Commission has issued guidelines stating that such a claim is
proper only where all or substantially all of the product is U.S.A. made.
Sears Craftsman is misleading consumers by invoking that claim," said
Barbara J. Hart, attorney for the tool buyers.

A socket or combination wrench or open end wrench or box wrench only has one part. And that part has, forged into the metal, "made in USA". If the litigants showed that a socket has "parts" that were made elsewhere I'd like to see what those "parts" look like.

In any case the court sent those particular litigants packing as having no standing to file suit and that was the end of that.

Certainly many Craftsman POWER tools are made elsewhere, some of their saws have been made in Switzerland for example. But I was not talking about power tools I was talking about wrenches and sockets and the like.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-31, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:14:34 PM UTC-5, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

Pictures attached to the complaint show metal parts from Austria, Denmark,
China, India and Mexico on Craftsman tools labeled as "Made in the USA."

"Sears has falsely touted Craftsman tools as 'Made in the USA' when the
Federal Trade Commission has issued guidelines stating that such a claim is
proper only where all or substantially all of the product is U.S.A. made.
Sears Craftsman is misleading consumers by invoking that claim," said
Barbara J. Hart, attorney for the tool buyers.

A socket or combination wrench or open end wrench or box wrench only
has one part. And that part has, forged into the metal, "made in USA".
If the litigants showed that a socket has "parts" that were made
elsewhere I'd like to see what those "parts" look like.

Well ... sockets are commonly used with ratchet wrenches, and
those ratchet wrenches certainly have more than one part. :-)

In any case the court sent those particular litigants packing as
having no standing to file suit and that was the end of that.

Certainly many Craftsman POWER tools are made elsewhere, some of their
saws have been made in Switzerland for example. But I was not talking
about power tools I was talking about wrenches and sockets and the like.

What about the ratchets?

Even a breaker bar has more than one part.

The handle.

The square drive

The pin on which the square drive pivots in the handle.

The detent ball.

The spring behind the detent ball.

Granted -- it is not made to be disassembled and repaired, but it
is multiple parts.

Some *sockets* even have multiple parts -- such as the spark
plug sockets with the foam rubber gripper inside to pull the plug out
with the socket.

And -- of course, *sets* of ratchet wrenches and sockets usually
have some kind of packaging designed to keep them together. Used to be
bent-up sheet metal, these days moulded plastic.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564