Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cincinnati monoset

I have started putting the monoset together from the pile of
attachments and trying (dry) its operation.

To say that I am impressed with this machine, would be to say
nothing. It can even do helical movement. It also comes with a super
high speed attachment, I guess for ID grinding or some such.

I find it very difficult to part with this machine and may keep it
around for a while.

I am wondering, at this point, if I can use this monoset to sharpen
drills. Also, with the monoset, I really do not need any other T&C
grinder. I really need to read the manuals.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 21:02:05 -0600, Ignoramus23709
wrote:

I have started putting the monoset together from the pile of
attachments and trying (dry) its operation.

To say that I am impressed with this machine, would be to say
nothing. It can even do helical movement. It also comes with a super
high speed attachment, I guess for ID grinding or some such.

I find it very difficult to part with this machine and may keep it
around for a while.

I am wondering, at this point, if I can use this monoset to sharpen
drills. Also, with the monoset, I really do not need any other T&C
grinder. I really need to read the manuals.

I agree. The monoset is the most versatile T&C grinder there is. I'm
not parting with mine.

I built a drill grinding attachment for very large drills using the
monoset. It sharpens them perfectly and really reduces the HP needed
to cut. Plus, the holes don't drill oversize. It uses the exact same
concept as the very cheap general drill grinding attachment.
Truthfully, for general drill grinding, this method is just too slow.
I use an M2 darex just like yours for small bits. And normally grind
large drills by hand.

The monoset can provide eccentric primary relief on the side flutes of
endmills. Something you only get with high end endmills like Hanita.
The Hanita website has several pages explaining the advantage of this.
I have a table and can explain the setup to you AFTER you've ground a
few endmills conventionly to get the hang of it.

There is almost no tool that cannot be resharpened or fabricated from
scratch with a monoset.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus23709" wrote in message
I have started putting the monoset together from the pile of
attachments and trying (dry) its operation.

To say that I am impressed with this machine, would be to say
nothing. It can even do helical movement. It also comes with a super
high speed attachment, I guess for ID grinding or some such.

I find it very difficult to part with this machine and may keep it
around for a while.

I am wondering, at this point, if I can use this monoset to sharpen
drills. Also, with the monoset, I really do not need any other T&C
grinder. I really need to read the manuals.

You can sharpen drills, taps, reamers, countersinks, counterbores,
toolbits, chasers and form cutters. Hold on to it for a while and see
how much you use it. Consider offering sharpening as a sideline
in case your auction business gets slow.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-30, azotic wrote:
"Ignoramus23709" wrote in message
I have started putting the monoset together from the pile of
attachments and trying (dry) its operation.

To say that I am impressed with this machine, would be to say
nothing. It can even do helical movement. It also comes with a super
high speed attachment, I guess for ID grinding or some such.

I find it very difficult to part with this machine and may keep it
around for a while.

I am wondering, at this point, if I can use this monoset to sharpen
drills. Also, with the monoset, I really do not need any other T&C
grinder. I really need to read the manuals.

You can sharpen drills, taps, reamers, countersinks, counterbores,
toolbits, chasers and form cutters. Hold on to it for a while and see
how much you use it. Consider offering sharpening as a sideline
in case your auction business gets slow.

Hi Tom, thanks. providing services: What follows is my opinion,
which, as you know, is often wrong. I visit many places and see many
people and businesses and what I see is that people who offer such
services are generally doing badly. Economics of "providing commodity
service" is a very tough business. The only thing worse is being in
"commodity manufacturing", with the added burden of expensive capital
equipment and more environmental regulation.

When I bought a building and started working for myself full time this
year, I swore that I will not a) be making any goods and b) be
providing any services. I decided to do only websites and horse
trading and nothing else.

HOWEVER, I buy and sell a lot of tooling, such as drills, end mills,
and taps. I have opportunities to buy lots more.

This is where a need for a T&C grinder comes. If I can come up with a
cheap to operate process of tool grinding, I could make a lot of money
buying, sharpening and selling metalworking cutting tools. Not just
"here's a tray of used drills AS IS" but "here's a set of professionally
resharpened drills". That could, possibly, make me money and would be
a fun thing to do when "auctions are slow".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have started putting the monoset together from the pile of
attachments and trying (dry) its operation.

To say that I am impressed with this machine, would be to say
nothing. It can even do helical movement. It also comes with a super
high speed attachment, I guess for ID grinding or some such.

I find it very difficult to part with this machine and may keep it
around for a while.

I am wondering, at this point, if I can use this monoset to sharpen
drills. Also, with the monoset, I really do not need any other T&C
grinder. I really need to read the manuals.

I agree. The monoset is the most versatile T&C grinder there is. I'm
not parting with mine.

Thanks, glad to hear.

I built a drill grinding attachment for very large drills using the
monoset. It sharpens them perfectly and really reduces the HP needed
to cut. Plus, the holes don't drill oversize. It uses the exact same
concept as the very cheap general drill grinding attachment.

Do you have a picture of it?

Truthfully, for general drill grinding, this method is just too slow.
I use an M2 darex just like yours for small bits. And normally grind
large drills by hand.

The monoset can provide eccentric primary relief on the side flutes of
endmills. Something you only get with high end endmills like Hanita.
The Hanita website has several pages explaining the advantage of this.
I have a table and can explain the setup to you AFTER you've ground a
few endmills conventionly to get the hang of it.

There is almost no tool that cannot be resharpened or fabricated from
scratch with a monoset.

This is very nice to know. I will pick a few hopelessly busted end
mills and will try sharpening them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-30, azotic wrote:
"Ignoramus23709" wrote in message

HOWEVER, I buy and sell a lot of tooling, such as drills, end mills,
and taps. I have opportunities to buy lots more.

This is where a need for a T&C grinder comes. If I can come up with a
cheap to operate process of tool grinding, I could make a lot of money
buying, sharpening and selling metalworking cutting tools. Not just
"here's a tray of used drills AS IS" but "here's a set of professionally
resharpened drills". That could, possibly, make me money and would be
a fun thing to do when "auctions are slow".

That can be very proffitable. I would visit local scrap yards and inform
them that you buy used drills etc. If you can find a retired grinder hand
and hire him part time he can teach you all the tricks. There are a couple
of guys on ebay that are selling resharpend tooling, it should be easy to
check if that stuff is selling enough to make it worthwhile.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus23709" wrote

This is very nice to know. I will pick a few hopelessly busted end
mills and will try sharpening them.

When I salvage a chipped end mill, rather than wear down the surface grinder
wheel I grind the end flat on a pedestal grinder and rough out the 30 degree
back relief.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-30, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Ignoramus23709" wrote

This is very nice to know. I will pick a few hopelessly busted end
mills and will try sharpening them.

When I salvage a chipped end mill, rather than wear down the surface grinder
wheel I grind the end flat on a pedestal grinder and rough out the 30 degree
back relief.

jsw

Jim, I thought to use them for practice, they would stay chipped, but
I can sharpen some edges.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-30, Jim Wilkins wrote:
When I salvage a chipped end mill, rather than wear down the surface
grinder
wheel I grind the end flat on a pedestal grinder and rough out the 30
degree
back relief.
jsw

Jim, I thought to use them for practice, they would stay chipped, but
I can sharpen some edges.

End mills are easy, though a good start. The amount of dish toward the
center doesn't appear to be critical. If you want a 'learning experience'
try sharpening taps with a circular relief and then test them on steel by
hand.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This is where a need for a T&C grinder comes. If I can come up with a
cheap to operate process of tool grinding, I could make a lot of money
buying, sharpening and selling metalworking cutting tools. Not just
"here's a tray of used drills AS IS" but "here's a set of professionally
resharpened drills". That could, possibly, make me money and would be
a fun thing to do when "auctions are slow".

In my limited experience, the monoset is not a good choice for low
cost resharpening. A cinnci #2 with an air bearing spindle can resharp
an endmill in 1/2 the time, for example.

I do think the monoset is a great choice for an HSM type because of
its extreme versatility. If you have the tooling, there is not a
custom cutter that is over its abilty to fabricate.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

ask me again in Feb. Its not with me right now.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus23709" wrote in message

I am wondering, at this point, if I can use this monoset to sharpen
drills. Also, with the monoset, I really do not need any other T&C
grinder. I really need to read the manuals.

Yes you can sharpen drills with it.

Suggest find a copy of this book, purchase and read it cover-to-cover:

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=W7JgGwAACAAJ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-30, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Ignoramus23709" wrote in message

I am wondering, at this point, if I can use this monoset to sharpen
drills. Also, with the monoset, I really do not need any other T&C
grinder. I really need to read the manuals.

Yes you can sharpen drills with it.

Suggest find a copy of this book, purchase and read it cover-to-cover:

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=W7JgGwAACAAJ

This book actually came with this Monoset!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a table and can explain the setup to you AFTER you've ground a
few endmills conventionly to get the hang of it.

There is almost no tool that cannot be resharpened or fabricated from
scratch with a monoset.

Karl. When grinding the ends of center cutting end mills, do you
grind one flute slightly beyond center and the other flute a little
less than to the center in order to make it center cutting. I recall
a discussion by T Nut regarding this awhile back. If so, how much
beyond the center do you go?

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 22:22:34 -0500, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

I have a table and can explain the setup to you AFTER you've ground a
few endmills conventionly to get the hang of it.

There is almost no tool that cannot be resharpened or fabricated from
scratch with a monoset.

Karl. When grinding the ends of center cutting end mills, do you
grind one flute slightly beyond center and the other flute a little
less than to the center in order to make it center cutting. I recall
a discussion by T Nut regarding this awhile back. If so, how much
beyond the center do you go?

RWL

I don't see how that would work. Wish Tnut was here to 'splain it.
Looks to me like the part going over center would be turning the wrong
way

Endmills are terrible drills. Use a drill or walk them down - side to
side while plunging.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PTD dot NET wrote:
Karl. When grinding the ends of center cutting end mills, do you
grind one flute slightly beyond center and the other flute a little
less than to the center in order to make it center cutting. I recall
a discussion by T Nut regarding this awhile back. If so, how much
beyond the center do you go?

RWL

I don't see how that would work. Wish Tnut was here to 'splain it.
Looks to me like the part going over center would be turning the wrong
way
Karl

The endmill fixture I have and all those I've seen rotate the endmill on its
axis to grind all the flutes identically. As long as the grinding wheel has
sharp dressed edges you can crank the table feed in and examine the cut
until opposing flute edges practically meet, definitely closer than drill
bit edges. If you accidentally go past center the last flute sharpened will
be like that.

Sometimes the flute geometry is offset so that the edges aren't quite radial
and won't meet. The gap either rubs or leaves a small protruding stub in the
middle that gets knocked down periodically. An asymmetrical hand-ground
Dremel slit across the center seems to help by pushing the stub around until
it breaks off.

jsw, who likes to experiment.

Roof Time In Cincinnati Roof Time Cincinnati Home Repair 0 November 27th 07 12:27 PM
Cincinnati mill dave Metalworking 5 April 26th 06 01:47 AM
Milltronics vs Cincinnati sabre [email protected] Metalworking 1 October 28th 05 01:35 AM
Cincinnati 220-8 Questions Sachin Metalworking 0 September 27th 05 06:07 AM
Cincinnati 220-8 Repair! Sachin Metalworking 10 June 18th 05 09:36 AM