Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ventless gas heaters -- my experience

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 14:14:37 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

.
Awl --

Apropos of the ahr thread Gas vs. electric range, someone spoke favorably
of ventless gas heaters.

Some time ago, it was complete news to me that "ventless gas" heaters even
existed, as I thought it was safety no-no, and also being conditioned to
vented Modine blowers -- not cheap, AND you need a stack.
But after some reading, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven, regarding my
shop heat problem, ie, freezing my ass off.

So I bought TWO, of the "radiant" type, with the ceramic ditty, a small and
a large, plumbed gas to the shop, and BAM, from a heat pov, I was in
seventh heaven. I need not have bought two, and could have easily gotten by
with just the small one! Cheap, too, I think $119 and $79.

But.... BUT.....
The air quality was atrocious!! You could FEEL the air in the back of
your throat -- and I spent many a youthful winter huddled in a gas-heated
kitchen, with no such sensation. A little stuffy, mebbe, but nothing like
this. Almost acrid.

Second, the water vapor.... holy ****..... I don't think a dehumidifier
coulda kept up with the vapor, and the wall above the unit was just
soaked -- not good metal, machinery-wise, OR wall-wise..

snip

My son had a ventless wall unit in his apartment in Virginia. I went
down to help him move a year ago and I moved some furniture. Behind
each piece was a layer of black mold, from the humidity, that you
could scrape off with a putty knife.

I suppose they're good if you want to grow marijuana in your
apartment, but he's not into that.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

.
[...]

Heh, mushrooms?

Are there different types of black mold? You hear horror stories about that
stuff, but some of it may be suburban legend-type stuff.
Yeah, water vapor any other place than a greenhouse is proly not a great
idea.

Hey, weren't you sposed to stop by me in Yonkers??
--
EA

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

.
[...]

Heating with propane is a no-no for many types of production
environments, just due to the relatively large amounts of humidity it
puts into the air. It's good for feeling warm, but bad for everything
else. Like metal machinery made of non-stainless steels or iron....

Radiant electric is prolly how to do it best, from what I've heard...
You can just put a bunch of little heaters, put one each right where you
will need them and only turn on the one you need.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 22:08:36 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

.
[...]

Oh, yup. I want to come up soon. I have two weeks of full-time work
coming, and then a break.

I'll be in touch.

--
Ed Huntress