Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Looking for Specs on a Taper...

I'm going to dig out my old Machinery Handbook shortly, but does anyone have
the measurement specs for the square taper adapter shown in this photo:

http://www.goantiques.com/scripts/im...86.html#image2

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
I'm going to dig out my old Machinery Handbook shortly, but does anyone
have the measurement specs for the square taper adapter shown in this
photo:

http://www.goantiques.com/scripts/im...86.html#image2

Joe Agro, Jr.

I measure about 8 degrees included angle on a fairly modern Stanley bit. The
old brace's chuck jaws suggest that anything will work as long as one end is
bigger than the other.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I measure about 8 degrees included angle on a fairly modern Stanley bit.
The old brace's chuck jaws suggest that anything will work as long as one
end is bigger than the other.

jsw

Jim,

You didn't happen to measure the length of the taper and the size of teh
square at both ends, did you?
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://www.Drill-HQ.com/?page_id=226
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
I measure about 8 degrees included angle on a fairly modern Stanley bit.
The old brace's chuck jaws suggest that anything will work as long as one
end is bigger than the other.

jsw

Jim,

You didn't happen to measure the length of the taper and the size of teh
square at both ends, did you?

The Stanley taper is 0.353/55" thick at the big end and 0.205/10" at the
small, about 1.12" away. The ends aren't sharply defined as the large end
transitions to round and the small end was evidently sheared off before
forging the taper.

An old wood drill bit measures 0.368/70" and maybe 0.205/18 over 1.18", give
or take since it's burred.

Another old bit's taper that looks almost hand-forged measures 0.356/8" at
the big end and 0.246" an inch by ruler down, the small end is uneven.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The Stanley taper is 0.353/55" thick at the big end and 0.205/10" at the
small, about 1.12" away. The ends aren't sharply defined as the large end
transitions to round and the small end was evidently sheared off before
forging the taper.

An old wood drill bit measures 0.368/70" and maybe 0.205/18 over 1.18",
give or take since it's burred.

Another old bit's taper that looks almost hand-forged measures 0.356/8" at
the big end and 0.246" an inch by ruler down, the small end is uneven.

Bottom line then is that the larger end is... Well... Larger and in that
range...

Got it. Drawn up in CAD the way I'd like it made and off to my shop for a
time and approximate materials/labor cost.

If anyone wants to see the drawing, I can send it in DWG and PDF to you.
Just ping me.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://www.Drill-HQ.com/?page_id=226
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 10:51:26 -0500, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
I measure about 8 degrees included angle on a fairly modern Stanley
bit. The old brace's chuck jaws suggest that anything will work as
long as one end is bigger than the other.

snip

The Stanley taper is 0.353/55" thick at the big end and 0.205/10" at
the small, about 1.12" away.

I haven't seen that nomenclature -- when you say 0.353/55", I assume that
the 0.353" means 353 thou -- but what does the '/55' mean?

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 10:51:26 -0500, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
I measure about 8 degrees included angle on a fairly modern Stanley
bit. The old brace's chuck jaws suggest that anything will work as
long as one end is bigger than the other.
snip

The Stanley taper is 0.353/55" thick at the big end and 0.205/10" at
the small, about 1.12" away.

I haven't seen that nomenclature -- when you say 0.353/55", I assume that
the 0.353" means 353 thou -- but what does the '/55' mean?

Perhaps 0.353/55" means 0.353"-0.355"?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 10:51:26 -0500, Jim Wilkins wrote:
The Stanley taper is 0.353/55" thick at the big end and 0.205/10" at
the small, about 1.12" away.

I haven't seen that nomenclature -- when you say 0.353/55", I assume that
the 0.353" means 353 thou -- but what does the '/55' mean?

0.353 one way, 0.355 the other. I meant to leave one complete as the
example. The old drafting tolerance standard places one over the other with
a horizontal line between them.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-16, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 10:51:26 -0500, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
I measure about 8 degrees included angle on a fairly modern Stanley
bit. The old brace's chuck jaws suggest that anything will work as
long as one end is bigger than the other.
snip

The Stanley taper is 0.353/55" thick at the big end and 0.205/10" at
the small, about 1.12" away.

I haven't seen that nomenclature -- when you say 0.353/55", I assume that
the 0.353" means 353 thou -- but what does the '/55' mean?

I think that it means a size ranging between 0.353" and 0.355",
but I agree that it is not a particularly common notation in my
experience -- especially leaving off the most significant digit of the
second value and the decimal point.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564