Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default UPS delivery

MSC offers UPS red. The UPS web site does not have "red" anymore. On
the "Next day air" it has this:

Delivery Commitment Next business day delivery by 10:30 a.m.,
12:00 noon, or end of day, depending on destination

End of day??? hell that's midnight!

No further explanation, so how does one know if it's 10:30AM, Noon or
midnight?

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/13/2011 3:36 PM, Randy333 wrote:
MSC offers UPS red. The UPS web site does not have "red" anymore. On
the "Next day air" it has this:

Delivery Commitment Next business day delivery by 10:30 a.m.,
12:00 noon, or end of day, depending on destination

End of day??? hell that's midnight!

No further explanation, so how does one know if it's 10:30AM, Noon or
midnight?

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

For UPS end of day is supposed to be 7PM , here in central florida 99%
of the time our MSC Red orders are here by 10:30.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy333 fired this volley in
:

End of day??? hell that's midnight!

No further explanation, so how does one know if it's 10:30AM, Noon or
midnight?

It's a route decision. UPS, like most delivery companies, runs more-or-
less "fixed" routes.

If your UPS guy gets there in the morning, then usually, you'll get it in
the morning.

Lately (and for the last six weeks) our UPS truck gets here between
7:30pm and 10pm.

If they cannot drop it off, you'll get an "attempted delivery notice",
which you don't want.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

tnik fired this volley in news:ZJOFq.208457
:

For UPS end of day is supposed to be 7PM , here in central florida 99%
of the time our MSC Red orders are here by 10:30.

That depends upon where you are. I'm out in cattle country in central
Florida. Our factory gets UPS next-day by 3pm. At home, I'm 10 miles
away, and get stuff as late as 10pm.

FedEx delivers to the factory by 10:30am, and to my house by 2pm.

It just depends upon their established route.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

No further explanation, so how does one know if it's 10:30AM, Noon or
midnight?

Randy - Very simple answer - "End of Day" means with your regular UPS Ground
shipment (except for during the holidays when all bets are off).

Or you can call UPS and ask them for a cost, time and transit quotation and
they will tell you when it is guaranteed for - presuming you don't have a
UPS account to work those up from your own end.

1-800-PICK-UPS, then press 0#0#0#0# and you'll get a live person almost
immediately.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
tnik fired this volley in news:ZJOFq.208457
:

For UPS end of day is supposed to be 7PM , here in central florida 99%
of the time our MSC Red orders are here by 10:30.

That depends upon where you are. I'm out in cattle country in central
Florida. Our factory gets UPS next-day by 3pm. At home, I'm 10 miles
away, and get stuff as late as 10pm.

UPS delivers commercial first. If you have a business at your home its
considered residential unless your business has its own separate driveway
and address. No kidding. Commercial is almost always delivered by 5, and
then residential gets it whenever they get to it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/13/2011 3:36 PM, Randy333 wrote:
MSC offers UPS red. The UPS web site does not have "red" anymore. On
the "Next day air" it has this:

Delivery Commitment Next business day delivery by 10:30 a.m.,
12:00 noon, or end of day, depending on destination

End of day??? hell that's midnight!

As others have said, that's the end of the UPS delivery day.

What I'd like to add is that MSC is right at the top of my list of
companies I like to do business with, due to speedy delivery. It helps
that I'm in Indianapolis, and they have a distribution center in Elkhart
IN, about 140 miles north of here -- but I think I've *always* gotten
next-day delivery, even when I pay only for standard shipment. The best
was placing an order online at 10:30 pm, and having it arrive on my
doorstop at 4 the next afternoon.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug Miller fired this volley in
:

What I'd like to add is that MSC is right at the top of my list of
companies I like to do business with, due to speedy delivery. It helps
that I'm in Indianapolis, and they have a distribution center in

Elkhart
IN, about 140 miles north of here -- but I think I've *always* gotten
next-day delivery, even when I pay only for standard shipment. The best
was placing an order online at 10:30 pm, and having it arrive on my
doorstop at 4 the next afternoon.

MSC IS good about that, but so is McMaster-Carr. They're both covering
the same territories, and most of their lines overlap; but not all.

There are things each carries that the other does not. It would be wise
to strike up a relationship with both companies.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

MSC IS good about that, but so is McMaster-Carr. ...

There are things each carries that the other does not. It would be wise
to strike up a relationship with both companies.

Except that the M-C website is great and MSC's sucks, big time. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt fired this volley in
:

Except that the M-C website is great and MSC's sucks, big time. Bob

You got that right! The MSC site is almost impossible to use. By
contrast, the McMaster-Carr site is nearly as intuitive as a paper
catalog, but faster.

I've even called MSC's customer service department to describe exactly
what is necessary to find an item and place an order on one vs. the
other. Then, I suggested they send a "mystery buyer" to the McMaster
site to see what they could see.

The response was (basically), "we've made vast improvements in the site
recently, and hope you enjoy them." (which I do, compared to how bad it
used to be).

Despite that, it's a klunker of an online ordering site! It's worse,
almost, than no on-line ability at all. Their paper catalog, on the
other hand, is top-notch!

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

MSC IS good about that, but so is McMaster-Carr. ...

There are things each carries that the other does not. It would be wise
to strike up a relationship with both companies.

Except that the M-C website is great and MSC's sucks, big time. Bob

I've heard they fixed that but I haven't looked in probably at least a year
now ...sadly, it's too late for them to have me back as a regular customer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in
news:zuKdnYZo2czRcXrTnZ2dnUVZ_qidnZ2d@scnresearch. com:

I've heard they fixed that but I haven't looked in probably at least a
year now ...sadly, it's too late for them to have me back as a regular
customer.

No... they "improved" it. In fact, they really did. They went from
immediately chasing both old and new customers away, to being merely
impossible to use.

I guess that's an improvement. I don't know why they don't investigate
the other "Brand M" in their neighborhood for how to do it right.

Mitch! ARE YOU LISTENING?

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 16:01:17 -0700, "Bob La Londe"

.3.70...
tnik fired this volley in news:ZJOFq.208457
:

For UPS end of day is supposed to be 7PM , here in central florida 99%
of the time our MSC Red orders are here by 10:30.

That depends upon where you are. I'm out in cattle country in central
Florida. Our factory gets UPS next-day by 3pm. At home, I'm 10 miles
away, and get stuff as late as 10pm.

UPS delivers commercial first. If you have a business at your home its
considered residential unless your business has its own separate driveway
and address. No kidding. Commercial is almost always delivered by 5, and
then residential gets it whenever they get to it.

I have a commercial business, in what was an on brewery stable, not
far from downtown Allentown PA. However this puts me in the middle of
a residential route and I've had ups notices on my door with the time
marked as late as 8 PM. Does not do me much good when I close at
4:30PM. but I guess some big wig at UPS is still patting himself on
the back for making it by "end of day" Too bad it's their day not
mine.

Now McMaster Carr, if I order by 10AM I get it same day by way of
"Same day Lighting" delivery.

As far as the MSC web site, it's gone from a ZERO to a 1. Still a
LONG way to go.

I dare anyone here to find a boring bar for indexable inserts on the
MSC site.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

That depends upon where you are. I'm out in cattle country in central
Florida. Our factory gets UPS next-day by 3pm. At home, I'm 10 miles
away, and get stuff as late as 10pm.

FedEx delivers to the factory by 10:30am, and to my house by 2pm.

It just depends upon their established route.

We're far SW KS (also serious cattle country; feedyard just east of us
is 27000 head ) but there's no "established route" -- they deliver on
GIS-based shortest route since it's miles between addresses and
irregular deliveries. I've never had anything delivered after mid- to
late afternoon, though; it'll be next day. Of course, the local
deliveries start their day in the nearest distribution center 60 miles
north and there's a very small contract sub-center here in town that the
drop trailers at for the deliveries that head on down into OK/TX
panhandles, nw NM, se CO, etc., ...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 14, 6:29*am, Randy333 wrote:
[...]

Randy- Hide quoted text -

Just did, stuck in "indexable insert boring bar", got about 2000 hits,
not enough detail from your search criteria to go farther. Right-
hand, left-hand, which insert types, etc. Or you can look at a pdf of
a catalog page, thumb through the virtual catalog. It's not THAT bad
unless you're just used to thumbing through a big bound paper pile. I
can usually find what I need in about 30 seconds. You DO have to know
what you're searching for or you get swamped, they've got that much
stuff cataloged.
Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 14:40:29 -0800 (PST), Stanley Schaefer
wrote:

[...]

WOW.

Silly me I just put in boring bar and though I could narrow it down
from there.

Now start at the home page, click on "indexable cutting tools" on the
left. Guess what NO boring bar option.

If you put in your search you get an "indexable boring bar" option.

WOW again.

Home page again. bottom of list on left. click on "turning and
boring" no option for indexable.
Remove 333 to reply.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 15:36:46 -0500, Randy333
wrote:

MSC offers UPS red. The UPS web site does not have "red" anymore. On
the "Next day air" it has this:

Delivery Commitment Next business day delivery by 10:30 a.m.,
12:00 noon, or end of day, depending on destination

End of day??? hell that's midnight!

No further explanation, so how does one know if it's 10:30AM, Noon or
midnight?

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

Paid for NEXT DAY (RED), got it by 10:30. Good insurance, ran all
day without breaking an insert so I never needed the package anyway.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

CPC delivery charges Stephen[_12_] UK diy 26 November 20th 10 07:45 PM
concrete delivery sm_jamieson UK diy 16 May 21st 10 04:26 PM
Home Delivery B&Q Stuart UK diy 8 October 18th 06 12:45 PM
Oil Delivery Ripoff? 444 Home Ownership 6 January 12th 06 09:33 PM
Delivery Notification: Delivery has been successful PMDF e-Mail Interconnect UK diy 0 December 12th 03 04:25 AM