Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default redneck skylight (Filipino style)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0_4qFrxw_4

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 07/11/2011 5:49 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0_4qFrxw_4

That is ingenious!

Pete

--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 08:33:11 -0500, Pete Snell wrote:

On 07/11/2011 5:49 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0_4qFrxw_4

That is ingenious!

Yabbut, now they can see what they have in their ratty little shacks.
Weren't they better off in the dark?

I had no idea the Filipinos lived in such squalor. It looks like the
outskirts of Rio, or anywhere in Haiti. Eye opener.

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 06:50:10 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 08:33:11 -0500, Pete Snell wrote:

On 07/11/2011 5:49 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0_4qFrxw_4

That is ingenious!

Yabbut, now they can see what they have in their ratty little shacks.
Weren't they better off in the dark?

I had no idea the Filipinos lived in such squalor. It looks like the
outskirts of Rio, or anywhere in Haiti. Eye opener.

Some indeed do. And across the street the Flips may have a half million
dollar mansion.

Same with Mexico etc etc etc

Which is one of the reasons I laugh my ass off at the OWS crowds when
they are bitching about being poor.

They have had life handed to them all of their lives..and they are
claiming to be poor.

They dont have a ****ing clue, standing there blithering on an Iphone in
$300 of boots and clothing...etc etc

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Clever enough. Check back in a year, when the UV rays from
the sun have rotted out the plastic.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote
in message

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0_4qFrxw_4

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 8, 5:06*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Clever enough. Check back in *a year, when the UV rays from
the sun have rotted out the plastic.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote
in messagenews:h3ogb7921n64pqha8mdg2lem0p554b6q1n@4ax .com...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0_4qFrxw_4

Job security! The GM model.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/8/2011 5:06 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Clever enough. Check back in a year, when the UV rays from
the sun have rotted out the plastic.

Hardly an expensive or difficult repair...even there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/8/2011 6:06 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Clever enough. Check back in a year, when the UV rays from
the sun have rotted out the plastic.

So what if they have? How difficult (or expensive) do you imagine it's
going to be, to replace a pop bottle full of water??
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Clever enough. Check back in a year, when the UV rays from
the sun have rotted out the plastic.

--

They should commission Holophane to form prismatic cylinders out of
borosilicate glass.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

OWS sounds a lot like "to each according to his need" to me.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

They dont have a ****ing clue, standing there blithering on an Iphone
in $300 of boots and clothing...etc etc

No matter how you phrase that it will always be absurdly understated.

I also love the common statement they make about their thing being like the
Arab Spring. Wealth is not the only thing they have had handed to them, but
also information. Yet they remain unspeakably ignorant.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, way too much. What about the lady from Okapy HotLanta? She was
mad as hell but didn't know WTF it was she was mad about. Crikey!

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
-- Louis L'Amour
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 8, 6:06*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Clever enough. Check back in *a year, when the UV rays from
the sun have rotted out the plastic.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org

Let me guess: You're a "Glass half empty" kind of guy, aren't you?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 08:33:11 -0500, Pete Snell wrote:

On 07/11/2011 5:49 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0_4qFrxw_4

That is ingenious!

Yabbut, now they can see what they have in their ratty little shacks.
Weren't they better off in the dark?

I had no idea the Filipinos lived in such squalor. It looks like the
outskirts of Rio, or anywhere in Haiti. Eye opener.

In a sense it is the same. That was not the high-rent district you
were seeing.

The whole thing looked more like a "truly great innovation" conceived
by the peace corps, the world bank or some NGO. Firstly, these places
are in the tropics! Can you imagine what a tin box with no windows is
like in the tropics? The residents certainly can and that is why they
all have windows; big windows.

The corrugated roofs are a very flimsy construction and stomping
around on them will usually either break a few roof beams or at least
bust a few sheets of well rusted tin roofing.

And lastly, those plastic bottles can be sold. The people in those tin
huts are poor and some of them make a part of their living harvesting
plastic bottles from garbage cans and selling them. Do you sell off
parts of your income?

--
John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Clever enough. Check back in a year, when the UV rays from
the sun have rotted out the plastic.

--

They should commission Holophane to form prismatic cylinders out of
borosilicate glass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deck_prism

The careful ones save up for a replacement bottle.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 06:59:01 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Clever enough. Check back in a year, when the UV rays from
the sun have rotted out the plastic.

--

They should commission Holophane to form prismatic cylinders out of
borosilicate glass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deck_prism

So it's a new twist on a very old idea, still ****ing genius. Just
can't put it any other way. Who would have thought a plastic bottle
would transmit and disperse light that well.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nickel for the deposit, maybe.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Doug Miller" wrote in
message ...
On 11/8/2011 6:06 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Clever enough. Check back in a year, when the UV rays
from
the sun have rotted out the plastic.

So what if they have? How difficult (or expensive) do you
imagine it's
going to be, to replace a pop bottle full of water??

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/9/2011 7:55 AM, Randy333 wrote:
On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 06:59:01 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

They should commission Holophane to form prismatic cylinders out of
borosilicate glass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deck_prism

So it's a new twist on a very old idea, still ****ing genius. Just
can't put it any other way. Who would have thought a plastic bottle
would transmit and disperse light that well.

Indeed...got me thinking for the old tin machine shed w/ no windows nor
wiring. Have a bunch of old clear glass (as well as green and various
others) telephone insulators. May just try one of them for the
purpose...similar to

http://www.natsulators.com/insalbum/photos/107arm010clr.jpg

Cheap since have dozens of 'em from when we used to have to maintain own
lines for connection to Bell in town and strong enough to withstand SW
KS weather if will refract well enough to be usable light pattern.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...

Indeed...got me thinking for the old tin machine shed w/ no windows nor
wiring. Have a bunch of old clear glass (as well as green and various
others) telephone insulators. May just try one of them for the
purpose...similar to

http://www.natsulators.com/insalbum/photos/107arm010clr.jpg

Cheap since have dozens of 'em from when we used to have to maintain own
lines for connection to Bell in town and strong enough to withstand SW KS
weather if will refract well enough to be usable light pattern.

I roofed my storage shed with corrugated clear PVC on the north side. It's
stiff enough to hold snow but too brittle to withstand acorns and developed
leaks. Floppier clear Suntuf polycarbonate panels with trapezoidal
corrugations fitted right over the PVC ones and stand up to falling debris
better. Together they are a good combination of stiffness and toughness.

The colored PVC panels are tougher initially than the clear ones though the
green panels I installed a decade ago have become brittle.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/9/2011 11:31 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I roofed my storage shed with corrugated clear PVC on the north side. It's
stiff enough to hold snow but too brittle to withstand acorns and developed
leaks. Floppier clear Suntuf polycarbonate panels with trapezoidal
corrugations fitted right over the PVC ones and stand up to falling debris
better. Together they are a good combination of stiffness and toughness.

The colored PVC panels are tougher initially than the clear ones though the
green panels I installed a decade ago have become brittle.

Side walls, maybe; nothing I've seen that's even remotely affordable is
close to being tough enough to stand up to hail we routinely get in SW
KS for overhead and sides are still iffy because when it hails it
normally also blows (a lot).

But, even if it were tough enough, it would suffer from the faults in
this instance of a) I'd have to buy whatever whereas I have a zillion of
the old insulators and b) it doesn't have the "kewl use!" factor...