Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ID toolholders

Those that followe RCM closely may know I upgraded my CNC mill with a
ballscrew on the knee...

The whole idea here was to enter a tool number (M6 T##) and have the
knee automatically move to the correct tool height. This week I'm
putting the 30 or so toolholders through the height guage and setting
up the tool table.

OK, what's the best way to semi permantly mark each tool holder. I
don't want to stamp or etch the holders. i tried electrical wire
numbers and they fly right off. other ideas? Is there a permanent
paint marker that takes coolant maybe?

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-02, Karl Townsend wrote:
Those that followe RCM closely may know I upgraded my CNC mill with a
ballscrew on the knee...

The whole idea here was to enter a tool number (M6 T##) and have the
knee automatically move to the correct tool height. This week I'm
putting the 30 or so toolholders through the height guage and setting
up the tool table.

OK, what's the best way to semi permantly mark each tool holder. I
don't want to stamp or etch the holders. i tried electrical wire
numbers and they fly right off. other ideas? Is there a permanent
paint marker that takes coolant maybe?

Have you tried using SHarpie markers on the surface that mates with
spindle taper?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Those that followe RCM closely may know I upgraded my CNC mill with a
ballscrew on the knee...

The whole idea here was to enter a tool number (M6 T##) and have the
knee automatically move to the correct tool height. This week I'm
putting the 30 or so toolholders through the height guage and setting
up the tool table.

OK, what's the best way to semi permantly mark each tool holder. I
don't want to stamp or etch the holders. i tried electrical wire
numbers and they fly right off. other ideas? Is there a permanent
paint marker that takes coolant maybe?

Karl

Use a sharpie, then cover with clear spray lacquer so it does not rub off
easily

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 07:42:53 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Those that followe RCM closely may know I upgraded my CNC mill with a
ballscrew on the knee...

The whole idea here was to enter a tool number (M6 T##) and have the
knee automatically move to the correct tool height. This week I'm
putting the 30 or so toolholders through the height guage and setting
up the tool table.

OK, what's the best way to semi permantly mark each tool holder. I
don't want to stamp or etch the holders. i tried electrical wire
numbers and they fly right off. other ideas? Is there a permanent
paint marker that takes coolant maybe?

Karl

Greetings Karl,
Nissen paint markers are what you want. Available in many colors and
will write on anything. They would probably even write on ice. The
paint sticks remarkably well even when subjected to coolant and oils.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 2, 12:57*pm, wrote:

Greetings Karl,
Nissen paint markers are what you want. Available in many colors and
will write on anything. They would probably even write on ice. The
paint sticks remarkably well even when subjected to coolant and oils.
Eric

I second that. They also mark resonably well through dirt and oil on
the surface (though in your case, I would clean the tool holder very
well before marking to get the best "stick"). Also, you could use nail
polish.

Dykem also makes a full line of paint markers:
http://www.markingpendepot.com/dykem...FYSK4Aod-0wvPQ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Those that followe RCM closely may know I upgraded my CNC mill with a
ballscrew on the knee...

The whole idea here was to enter a tool number (M6 T##) and have the
knee automatically move to the correct tool height. This week I'm
putting the 30 or so toolholders through the height guage and setting
up the tool table.

OK, what's the best way to semi permantly mark each tool holder. I
don't want to stamp or etch the holders. i tried electrical wire
numbers and they fly right off. other ideas? Is there a permanent
paint marker that takes coolant maybe?

Karl

Fingernail polish.

Or use a sharpie, when dry, paint over it with clear fingernail polish...

Are NMTB toolholders weldable Ignoramus25291 Metalworking 14 November 16th 10 11:15 AM
QC toolholders for piston and Aloris AXA QC toolpost do not work Louis Ohland Metalworking 14 August 13th 07 07:28 PM
Toolholders RoyJ Metalworking 0 October 3rd 05 05:00 AM
Multifix Toolposts - Need Toolholders Ray Field Metalworking 0 September 11th 05 01:55 AM
Finished my TNMP321 carbide insert toolholders Spencer Metalworking 3 January 8th 04 04:41 AM