Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default ID toolholders

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 16:57:28 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 07:42:53 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Those that followe RCM closely may know I upgraded my CNC mill with a
ballscrew on the knee...

The whole idea here was to enter a tool number (M6 T##) and have the
knee automatically move to the correct tool height. This week I'm
putting the 30 or so toolholders through the height guage and setting
up the tool table.

OK, what's the best way to semi permantly mark each tool holder. I
don't want to stamp or etch the holders. i tried electrical wire
numbers and they fly right off. other ideas? Is there a permanent
paint marker that takes coolant maybe?

Karl

Greetings Karl,
Nissen paint markers are what you want. Available in many colors and
will write on anything. They would probably even write on ice. The
paint sticks remarkably well even when subjected to coolant and oils.
Eric

I didn't know these came in a fine point. McMaster has them for $3.16.
I got one on order

Karl