Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Speaking of Compressors...

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 18:07:52 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

I presume anything close to that size is going to be a screw compressor...
But I could be indicating my lack of knowledge with that guess too.

Well, I did see some gigantic Ingersoll one-lung compressors in a
factory here on a tour. I was amazed they were from 1952. Gigantic
horizontal cylinder about 8 - 10" diameter and probably a stroke
of a foot.

It may have been driven by a low speed synchronous motor that was
supplying power factor correction in addition to driving the
compressor.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I presume anything close to that size is going to be a screw
compressor... But I could be indicating my lack of knowledge with that
guess too.

Well, I did see some gigantic Ingersoll one-lung compressors in a
factory here on a tour. I was amazed they were from 1952. Gigantic
horizontal cylinder about 8 - 10" diameter and probably a stroke
of a foot.

It may have been driven by a low speed synchronous motor that was
supplying power factor correction in addition to driving the
compressor.

Yes, that is EXACTLY the machine! I didn't mention those details
as they have nothing to do with the air supply, but that was the
setup. On the way was a phase angle meter that looked like it came out of
Edison's own lab. I never found what the phase meter controlled, but
it would have to be a variable voltage rectifier, probably with
big Tungar bulbs in it.

Jon

Speaking of Compressors... Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Woodworking 31 October 31st 11 08:39 PM
Compressors Jeweller UK diy 6 November 21st 08 06:12 PM
air compressors brianlanning Woodworking 14 February 14th 06 04:23 PM
Air Compressors - how many bar Rick UK diy 11 November 24th 05 01:18 PM
Old Air Compressors - Are They Better? Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 8 April 8th 05 01:06 AM