Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Natural gas whip. Grade "T", right?

I want to put my clothes dryer on casters so I can
scoot it out of the way conveniently when cleaning
it's exhaust duct. It now has the industry-standard
corrugated metal gas line.

I assume that a grade 'T' neoprene line would be
safer because it would not have the metal fatigue
issue I ASSume would claim the corrugated line at
some point in the future.

I DAGS but was not able to uncover a hose with the
right connectors. What am I doing wrong here?

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 14, 10:17*pm, Winston wrote:
I want to put my clothes dryer on casters so I can
scoot it out of the way conveniently when cleaning
it's exhaust duct. *It now has the industry-standard
corrugated metal gas line.

I assume that a grade 'T' neoprene line would be
safer because it would not have the metal fatigue
issue I ASSume would claim the corrugated line at
some point in the future.

I DAGS but was not able to uncover a hose with the
right connectors. *What am I doing wrong here?

--Winston

A quick googling shows fed regs say gas connections need to be metal
and another site says the flex metal connections aren't to be used
with equipment with castors, they'll fatigue and leak. A third site
says local rules vary, check with the local building dept. as to what
sort of sealants are allowed on connections. And what's allowed
changes, there was a major change in the type of flex connection
allowed in the last 10 years, a lot of folks had to retrofit.

As far as the cleanout problem, my dad used an elbow and short section
of vent that could be pulled and the works rodded out when needed, My
sister's dryer is set up with a flex plastic vent, ala giant vacuum
cleaner hose, that can be disconnected easily. On both, the dryers
are set so they aren't easily moved, but have space on sides and back
so that the vent is easily reached, the installations were designed
that way.

IANAL, but if you use a non-approved connection and have a fire, your
insurance will probably not pay off, no matter how clever your hose
and castor setup is.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Oct 14, 10:17 pm, wrote:
[...]

Ah!

Excellent info. Thanks!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

wrote:
On Oct 14, 10:17 pm, wrote:
[...]

Try a restaurant supply place, stuff like commercial convection ovens
are frequently on casters and frequently have flexible gas connections
with quick connect fittings (secondary shutoff valve behind the quick
connect).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

(...)

Try a restaurant supply place, stuff like commercial convection ovens
are frequently on casters and frequently have flexible gas connections
with quick connect fittings (secondary shutoff valve behind the quick
connect).

Good!
Thanks, Pete!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 04:47:04 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:
Winston wrote:
wrote:
On Oct 14, 10:17 pm, wrote:

[...]

And they also put on aircraft-cable "leashes" between a stout ring on
the wall and a stout attachment on the restaurant ovens and fryers, so
when they are rolled out for cleaning (or decide to go Walkies on
their own in an earthquake...) they stop at the cable first.

This way the gas whip hose isn't what is trying to stop the
appliance, or getting ripped open and make a major gas leak if the
appliance won't take No for an answer.

You're blending several different chapters of the Building Codes
Residential and Commercial uses are treated vastly differently - and
sometimes for no logical reason.

You might want to ask the local "Authority Having Jurisdiction"
(building inspector) and your insurance company to see if they have
any concerns. If they find it after the fire, even if it had nothing
at all to do with it, you're still in a world of trouble.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Winston wrote:
wrote:
On Oct 14, 10:17 pm, wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info.

I think for now, I will leave things 'as is'.
'Sounds like a lot less pain.

--Winston