Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 10-64 thread???

Hit an estate sale this morning and scored a few nice items I can use.
One thing I bought, 'just because' was a #10-64 die with two matching
taps. Figured they'd cost me a bloody fortune if I ever needed them, and
a couple bucks would cover the cost of inventorying them in the
meantime. G

Anyway, anyone have any idea what might use a 10-64 thread?
Some sort of musical, or scientific instrument thread?
Or just some oddball application?

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-15, Jon Anderson wrote:
Hit an estate sale this morning and scored a few nice items I can use.
One thing I bought, 'just because' was a #10-64 die with two matching
taps. Figured they'd cost me a bloody fortune if I ever needed them, and
a couple bucks would cover the cost of inventorying them in the
meantime. G

Anyway, anyone have any idea what might use a 10-64 thread?
Some sort of musical, or scientific instrument thread?
Or just some oddball application?

Just for someone who needs fairly fine adjustment screws.
Granted, it is pretty close to 0.40mm (actually 0.3969mm) which is about
a "tenth" (0.0001") off -- close enough for a lot of things.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson Inscribed thus:

Hit an estate sale this morning and scored a few nice items I can use.
One thing I bought, 'just because' was a #10-64 die with two matching
taps. Figured they'd cost me a bloody fortune if I ever needed them,
and a couple bucks would cover the cost of inventorying them in the
meantime. G

Anyway, anyone have any idea what might use a 10-64 thread?
Some sort of musical, or scientific instrument thread?
Or just some oddball application?

Jon

Sounds like a micrometer thread size.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 20:51:20 +0100, Baron
wrote:

Jon Anderson Inscribed thus:

Hit an estate sale this morning and scored a few nice items I can use.
One thing I bought, 'just because' was a #10-64 die with two matching
taps. Figured they'd cost me a bloody fortune if I ever needed them,
and a couple bucks would cover the cost of inventorying them in the
meantime. G

Anyway, anyone have any idea what might use a 10-64 thread?
Some sort of musical, or scientific instrument thread?
Or just some oddball application?

Jon

Sounds like a micrometer thread size.

Na, mics are 40 TPI or.025 per rev.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Baron" wrote in message
Jon Anderson Inscribed thus:

Hit an estate sale this morning and scored a
few nice items I can use.
One thing I bought, 'just because' was a #10-64
die with two matching
taps. Figured they'd cost me a bloody fortune
if I ever needed them,
and a couple bucks would cover the cost of
inventorying them in the
meantime. G

Anyway, anyone have any idea what might use a
10-64 thread?
Some sort of musical, or scientific instrument
thread?
Or just some oddball application?

Jon

Sounds like a micrometer thread size.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Nah. One turn of the thimble is 0.025 x 40 turns
is one inch.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/15/2011 2:01 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

Na, mics are 40 TPI or.025 per rev.

Maybe a fractional micrometer? G

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/14/2011 8:02 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

Just for someone who needs fairly fine adjustment screws.

Hmm, probably right, that was the only thing I could think of. I was
just curious if anyone knew of someplace this thread was commonly used.
Custom taps and dies are not cheap...

Jon