Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Berg sidecutters

Does any one know whether the cutting edges on Berg side cutters are
hardened right through so can be ground when worn?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , F Murtz
wrote:

Does any one know whether the cutting edges on Berg side cutters are
hardened right through so can be ground when worn?

Typically, such tools are selectively hardened, with hardness greatest
at the cutting edges, but gradually softening as one gets away from the
edge. Such tools are never case hardened, because the case would be too
shallow, and the transition from hard to soft would be too abrupt,
leading to delamination in use.

So, hand sharpening with a stone or diamond stick can work, at least
once. However, note that for cutting hard metals, the blades end in a
small 90 degree vee, not in a 20 degree chisel edge.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...CDIQFjAA&url=h
ttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.cooperhandtools.com%2Fonlinecatalo g%2FTechnical_Specifica
tions%2FMS54_Specifications.pdf&rct=j&q=flush%20se mi-flush%20cutter&ei=fU
mQTtq9A4re0QHPwbki&usg=AFQjCNHfywnxlyLPBYmUZZVz9bC akoEeQw&sig2=L5XHTxjG-n
pQV8sKRAApIQ&cad=rja

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In , F
wrote:

[...]

Thanks i will try it
PS I can not open that giant url
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

F Murtz wrote:

(...)

Thanks i will try it
PS I can not open that giant url

Try this:
http://goo.gl/S8Zvt

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-08, F Murtz wrote:
Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In , F
wrote:

[ ... ]

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...CDIQFjAA&url=h
ttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.cooperhandtools.com%2Fonlinecatalo g%2FTechnical_Specifica
tions%2FMS54_Specifications.pdf&rct=j&q=flush%20se mi-flush%20cutter&ei=fU
mQTtq9A4re0QHPwbki&usg=AFQjCNHfywnxlyLPBYmUZZVz9bC akoEeQw&sig2=L5XHTxjG-n
pQV8sKRAApIQ&cad=rja

Joe Gwinn

Thanks i will try it
PS I can not open that giant url

I can -- but I had to cut and paste a line at a time to make a
single long line to feed to the browser.

I've edited it above so there is nothing extra in there.
However, you can do better with the following URL:

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/onlin...ifications.pdf

which was buried in that long one from google. This way you *only* have
to talk to the site hosting the image -- not to google as well, letting
them see what you are looking up.

And at least as I send it, it is a single line, not broken into
five the way the other was.

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/onlinecatalog/Technical_Specifications/MS54_Specifications.pdf

Some programs will allow you to click on it better with the angle
brackets in the last copy.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 7, 10:27*pm, F Murtz wrote:
Does any one know whether the cutting edges on Berg side cutters are
hardened right through so can be ground when worn?

For small clippers used for soft wire, I use a small diamond hone to
clean up divots from bozos using them on hard wire and to get the jaws
so they meet properly. You can usually do this once or twice with
those small ones, then you run into problems with handle stops. If
you're talking about proper electrician's side cutters, my dad used to
grind those to save money, I've got a set I inherited where the ends
of the handles meet. Will still chew off #12 wire, not my first
choice of tool for it, though.

Stan