Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Berg sidecutters

On Oct 7, 10:27*pm, F Murtz wrote:
Does any one know whether the cutting edges on Berg side cutters are
hardened right through so can be ground when worn?

For small clippers used for soft wire, I use a small diamond hone to
clean up divots from bozos using them on hard wire and to get the jaws
so they meet properly. You can usually do this once or twice with
those small ones, then you run into problems with handle stops. If
you're talking about proper electrician's side cutters, my dad used to
grind those to save money, I've got a set I inherited where the ends
of the handles meet. Will still chew off #12 wire, not my first
choice of tool for it, though.

Stan