Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Astronauts to be renamed to cosmonavts

Sad news.

I do not give it as much significance as Fox News, but, here we are.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...an/?test=faces
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus28169" wrote in message
Sad news.

I do not give it as much significance as Fox News, but, here we are.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...an/?test=faces

I wonder what the standard of proficiency is, learning the technical words
or also mastering the difficult grammar?

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-05, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Ignoramus28169" wrote in message
Sad news.

I do not give it as much significance as Fox News, but, here we are.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...an/?test=faces

I wonder what the standard of proficiency is, learning the technical words
or also mastering the difficult grammar?

Lots of technical words in Russian are from English or German. I would
say up to 50%.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
On 2011-10-05, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I wonder what the standard of proficiency is, learning the technical
words
or also mastering the difficult grammar?

Lots of technical words in Russian are from English or German. I would
say up to 50%.

French provided aviation terms to Russian, also to English (aileron,
fuselage). I traced Forsirovanny (supercharged, boosted) back to the French
term for forcing plant growth.

Knowing French, German and Latin has helped me considerably with Russian.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-05, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I wonder what the standard of proficiency is, learning the technical
words
or also mastering the difficult grammar?

Lots of technical words in Russian are from English or German. I would
say up to 50%.

French provided aviation terms to Russian, also to English (aileron,
fuselage). I traced Forsirovanny (supercharged, boosted) back to the French
term for forcing plant growth.

Knowing French, German and Latin has helped me considerably with Russian.

I did not even know this, but it makes perfect sense.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-05, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I wonder what the standard of proficiency is, learning the technical
words
or also mastering the difficult grammar?

Lots of technical words in Russian are from English or German. I would
say up to 50%.

French provided aviation terms to Russian, also to English (aileron,
fuselage). I traced Forsirovanny (supercharged, boosted) back to the French
term for forcing plant growth.

Knowing French, German and Latin has helped me considerably with Russian.

I got severely bollocked at school for daring to suggest that the word
"combine" (as in combine harvester) was of English origin, not
Russian.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 08:24:56 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
Knowing French, German and Latin has helped me considerably with Russian.

I got severely bollocked at school for daring to suggest that the word
"combine" (as in combine harvester) was of English origin, not
Russian.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Most successful Russian inventor named Comrade Reguspatoff.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 19:21:41 -0400, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Ignoramus28169" wrote in message
Sad news.

I do not give it as much significance as Fox News, but, here we are.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...a-teaching-us-

astronauts-russian/?test=faces

I wonder what the standard of proficiency is, learning the technical
words or also mastering the difficult grammar?

Before I was married my standard of proficiency for any language was: can
I talk a girl into bed.

Alas, I wasn't very proficient at all, even in English.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 17:21:08 -0500, Ignoramus28169
wrote:

Sad news.

I do not give it as much significance as Fox News, but, here we are.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...an/?test=faces

S volkami zit, po volchi vyt!

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Sad news.

I do not give it as much significance as Fox News, but, here we are.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...an/?test=faces

S volkami zit, po volchi vyt!

Truer words have not been spoken!

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Sad news.

I do not give it as much significance as Fox News, but, here we are.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...an/?test=faces

S volkami zit, po volchi vyt!

Truer words have not been spoken!

When in Rome, eh?

http://goo.gl/BQa2g

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Sad news.

I do not give it as much significance as Fox News, but, here we are.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...an/?test=faces

S volkami zit, po volchi vyt!

Truer words have not been spoken!

When in Rome, eh?

ya beat me to it, Larry...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have been thinking about this. Getting people into orbit is, well,
rocket science, but all ingredients in it are well known.

So, how come we have to ask the Russians to send our cosmonavts into
orbit? What if the Congress asks NASA to design a very reliable, but
basic, people launching system, with disposable spacecraft? NASA can
surely do it? WTF?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28169 wrote:

Sad news.

I do not give it as much significance as Fox News, but, here we are.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...an/?test=faces
They've been doing it for quite some time. Now, especially that the
Russians are our only way to get to/from the space station, we
need to be able to communicate with them, without interpreters.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-06, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus28169 wrote:

Sad news.

I do not give it as much significance as Fox News, but, here we are.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...an/?test=faces
They've been doing it for quite some time. Now, especially that the
Russians are our only way to get to/from the space station, we
need to be able to communicate with them, without interpreters.

Makes sense. Fortunately, vodka is pronounced the same way in both
countries. (as is "algebra", the reason why I registered algebra.com in
1995).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 22:04:20 -0500, Ignoramus28169

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28169 wrote:

Sad news.

I do not give it as much significance as Fox News, but, here we are.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...an/?test=faces

It could be worse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6xJzAYYrX8

Not Politically correct. Not safe for people without a sense of
humor, or whiny liberals. It's a spoof of 'Ken Burns' type
documentaries called "The Old Negro Space Program".