Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New Old Stock in the crate 1960's Sears Atlas / Clausing Metal Lathe- $1700 (Syracuse, NY)

http://utica.craigslist.org/tls/2622699469.html

Thought some folks on here might be interested.

NOT MINE!!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." fired this volley in news:FO7hq.16$Br5.7
@newsfe04.iad:

http://utica.craigslist.org/tls/2622699469.html

That's too much for that lathe.

I have a 6x18 Atlas, vintage about 1971. That 1960 figure looks fishy.
I'd have to look up the Sears numbers to check on the date. That one
_Looks_ like the 1975/6 "update" of the earlier model, where they
replaced the headstock Timken bearings with bushings, and cheapened all
the castings.

Mine has the "old Atlas" look -- rounded profiles, and all. That one -
all squared off like it is - looks like a Chinese lathe, which means it's
probably a later vintage, even if not made in China.

I bought my 6x18 in 1972 from Sears and Roebuck for $430 (a friggin'
FORTUNE back then!), complete with motor and tooling. I still have it,
and use it thrice a week.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 29, 7:27*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page7.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Denis G." fired this volley in news:869fb0b5-
:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page7.html

HAH! I was right, and only off by a year!

Mine was the "earlier" craftsman lathe, pre-1974
And the "later" ones had been cheapened and "uglied up" by the penny-
counters.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 29, 7:08*pm, "Steve W." wrote:
http://utica.craigslist.org/tls/2622699469.html

Thought some folks on here might be interested.

NOT MINE!!!!

Assuming that it is original and NOS...is it worth the money?

To a collector it would be.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On Sep 30, 9:59*am, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Sep 29, 7:08*pm, "Steve W." wrote:

http://utica.craigslist.org/tls/2622699469.html

Thought some folks on here might be interested.

NOT MINE!!!!

Assuming that it is original and NOS...is it worth the money?

To a collector it would be.

TMT

Well, I'm a bit of a collector, and those Mk2s have no interest to
me.
Right now I have a Mk1 (late) and a Mk2.
The Mk2 like the Cl lathe is going to be the first one out the door.
Coming soon to a CL near you.
The Mk1 is a nice little lathe. It's admittedly not a good a machine
as even my 7x14 Sieg lathe, but it's the best of the Craftsman metal
lathes in my opinion.