Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gearing question

OK, this is somewhat on-topic.

O own a motorcycle, it has a large gap between the 1st two gears, a
popular mod is to replace ONE of the two gears that make up the 2nd-
gear pair, the new gear has fewer teeth.

How on earth can you change the number of teeth on just one gear of a
pair when they are set at a fixed distance?

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 10:14:24 -0700 (PDT), Carl
wrote:

On Sep 21, 12:56*pm, Dave__67 wrote:
OK, this is somewhat on-topic.

O own a motorcycle, it has a large gap between the 1st two gears, a
popular mod is to replace ONE of the two gears that make up the 2nd-
gear pair, the new gear has fewer teeth.

How on earth can you change the number of teeth on just one gear of a
pair when they are set at a fixed distance?

Dave

Can't.

Can't with standard involute gears, but the mod may use extended pitch
gears.
http://www-mdp.eng.cam.ac.uk/web/lib...g/meshing.html

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave__67" wrote in message
OK, this is somewhat on-topic.

O own a motorcycle, it has a large gap between the 1st two gears, a
popular mod is to replace ONE of the two gears that make up the 2nd-
gear pair, the new gear has fewer teeth.

How on earth can you change the number of teeth on just one gear of a
pair when they are set at a fixed distance?

What is the bike? Some have aftermarket gear sets that fix the issue across
the board rather than by trying to stretch or swell a gear to match
another - a risky operation IMHO.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave__67 wrote:
OK, this is somewhat on-topic.

I own a motorcycle, it has a large gap between the 1st two gears, a
popular mod is to replace ONE of the two gears that make up the 2nd-
gear pair, the new gear has fewer teeth.

How on earth can you change the number of teeth on just one gear of a
pair when they are set at a fixed distance?

Dave

You can't . You'll be replacing a pair , as in main and countershaft 2nd
gear pair . What kind of bike ?
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/21/2011 8:56 AM, Dave__67 wrote:

How on earth can you change the number of teeth on just one gear of a
pair when they are set at a fixed distance?

I think you're supposed to change one gear, as in one gear set. Replace
2nd gear for instance. Dad had a motorcycle shop in the 70's and
Husqvarna was one of our lines. One of our sponsored riders didn't like
the gear spread on his Husky and spent some time going through our parts
books, ended up ordering a couple gear pairs from different models to
get the exact spread he wanted. Just gotta know where to get a
compatible pair of gears in the ratio you want. It was easy with the
Husky as the basic engine was more or less the same across several
models and years, save for port timing and gearing differences.
If it's a modern J-bike, could be real interesting finding something
that'll work.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 21, 12:56*pm, Dave__67 wrote:
OK, this is somewhat on-topic.

O own a motorcycle, it has a large gap between the 1st two gears, a
popular mod is to replace ONE of the two gears that make up the 2nd-
gear pair, the new gear has fewer teeth.

How on earth can you change the number of teeth on just one gear of a
pair when they are set at a fixed distance?

Dave

This is for a Honda XR650L, very similar engine to an NX650.

All the parts in the trans are the same between the two except for one
gear, and I assure you this does work and there are bikes out there
that have had this mod for thousands of miles.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

gears.http://www-mdp.eng.cam.ac.uk/web/lib...oks_dvd_only/D...

--
Ned Simmons

That makes sense given some of what I've read on why people think it
works.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 21, 11:56*am, Dave__67 wrote:
OK, this is somewhat on-topic.

O own a motorcycle, it has a large gap between the 1st two gears, a
popular mod is to replace ONE of the two gears that make up the 2nd-
gear pair, the new gear has fewer teeth.

How on earth can you change the number of teeth on just one gear of a
pair when they are set at a fixed distance?

Dave

It's called a modified tooth profile, modified addendum, addendum
shift, et al... Done every day. Not a big deal. Rather straight
forward. I always find it very amusing that it's basically only old
machinery users that don't know about it or think it can't be done
because they're so used to standard gears and moveable center
distances. In the rest of the world, we deal with envelope constraints
every day and "standard gears" are not the standard.