Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Gearing question

On 9/21/2011 8:56 AM, Dave__67 wrote:

How on earth can you change the number of teeth on just one gear of a
pair when they are set at a fixed distance?

I think you're supposed to change one gear, as in one gear set. Replace
2nd gear for instance. Dad had a motorcycle shop in the 70's and
Husqvarna was one of our lines. One of our sponsored riders didn't like
the gear spread on his Husky and spent some time going through our parts
books, ended up ordering a couple gear pairs from different models to
get the exact spread he wanted. Just gotta know where to get a
compatible pair of gears in the ratio you want. It was easy with the
Husky as the basic engine was more or less the same across several
models and years, save for port timing and gearing differences.
If it's a modern J-bike, could be real interesting finding something
that'll work.

Jon