Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drilling a stack of 1/4" plates

I have to make four identical 1/4" plates that have 15 holes. 11 of the
holes be countersunk for 1/4" socket-head countersunk screws that will
be used to mount fixture parts, 4 of the holes are for #10 SHCS for
mounting to the machine. These fixtures will hold wood blocks in a
machine. I need .005" difference between hole placement in the plates.
The plates are 8" x 6"

My question is: Can I stack all four plates, tack weld them together
and drill all four plates at once in the mill using the DRO to position
the plates and have the top plate and the bottom plate be within .005"?
In other words, will the drill wander more than .005"? I will use a
combined drill countersink to spot the holes then drill undersized, then
drill the 1/4" hole using all new drills.

Supporting 3" vent stack Ivan Vegvary Home Repair 10 November 12th 08 08:28 PM
1 1/4"x8 face plates Mike R. Courteau Woodturning 10 June 14th 06 01:44 PM
FS: Don Pencil face plates 1"x8tpi Owen Lowe Woodturning 5 November 29th 05 04:50 PM
Drilling Soil Stack Rob Convery UK diy 7 November 22nd 05 11:57 AM
Dado stack for 16" RAS Jay Pique Woodworking 5 October 17th 05 04:46 PM