Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Large Twist Drills

With a 25 hp motor geared down to 8 rpm and a # 6 morse taper, I would
think it would be able to use bigger drills. How do you come up with
4 inches?

The same site has another radial arm drill press with a 15 hp motor
and a #5 morse taper and says it will drill up to 4.5 in cast iron.

Both of them are too big to go into my basement.

Typically, the MT shank isn't rated for making a hole in mild steel much
larger than about 115% of it's maximum diameter.

That's not a solid rule, but it's somewhat of a standard many go by.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There's a twist-drill manufacturer with their head office in Seoul
Korea who has a scaled-up twist drill sculpture in front of their
building. Maybe 20-30' high and 3' in diameter? ;-)

If someone can make it work on a drill press, I'll count that as the winner.

...No Balsa wood drilling either.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

12"

Would love to see it. What shank does a 12" drill tool have? The largest
MT is #7, eh?
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Some where, I've got an installer's bit, which makes 1/2
holes, and the shaft is 4 feet long. I could have got 6 foot
long, and probably ought to have.

Largest diameter I have is 1/2 inch, though I've seen 3/4.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
So my son asks me what the largest twist drill available
is... I told him
10 feet because they could make one for him.

But that got me to thinking... With a Morse Taper #4 or
larger (they go to
Morse #7, right?), what is the largest twist drill you guys
have seen or
actually own?

We're talking standard drills, not annular cutters or end
mills, etc.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Looking for good twist drills (and maybe some advice) Andy Woodworking 17 July 25th 07 02:33 PM
Twist and Bend? stoutman Woodworking 15 January 20th 06 06:13 PM
for Sale Large SPINDLE Adaptor and Large 3C Collet for S/Bend LATHE [email protected] Metalworking 0 January 11th 05 09:32 PM
FS Large Drills Sailor Metalworking 3 November 28th 04 01:58 PM
ANN: Decimal Equivalents, Drills, & Tap Drills For The Palm Carmine Castiglia Metalworking 0 January 13th 04 03:53 AM