Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Joe AutoDrill[_2_] is offline

Default Large Twist Drills

With a 25 hp motor geared down to 8 rpm and a # 6 morse taper, I would
think it would be able to use bigger drills. How do you come up with
4 inches?

The same site has another radial arm drill press with a 15 hp motor
and a #5 morse taper and says it will drill up to 4.5 in cast iron.

Both of them are too big to go into my basement.

Typically, the MT shank isn't rated for making a hole in mild steel much
larger than about 115% of it's maximum diameter.

That's not a solid rule, but it's somewhat of a standard many go by.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244