Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Telescoping tube?

I cut crimped steel wire in an automatic machine of my design and
construction. The lengths range from 5" to 9". The wire is "roped" to
up to 600 strands then wound on a 20" wood reel. Some of these ropes
get tangled between the pushing arm and the funnel at the cutting blades.

I have tried to use an expansion spring and I might just get that to
work if I hit on the magic dimensions for the spring. I'm thinking of
something like a telescoping tube that would range from 1" long to 9"
long with an ID of 1" to 1-1/2". (Where is that Unobtanium and
Dissapearium when I need it?)

Ever seen a telescoping tube like that?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/10/2011 5:25 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
I cut crimped steel wire in an automatic machine of my design and
construction. The lengths range from 5" to 9". The wire is "roped" to up
to 600 strands then wound on a 20" wood reel. Some of these ropes get
tangled between the pushing arm and the funnel at the cutting blades.

I have tried to use an expansion spring and I might just get that to
work if I hit on the magic dimensions for the spring. I'm thinking of
something like a telescoping tube that would range from 1" long to 9"
long with an ID of 1" to 1-1/2". (Where is that Unobtanium and
Dissapearium when I need it?)

Ever seen a telescoping tube like that?

Pretty common in the aircraft industry.

It's usually 4130 .049 wall, but there are a lot of sizes to play with.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 18:25:10 -0400, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

I cut crimped steel wire in an automatic machine of my design and
construction. The lengths range from 5" to 9". The wire is "roped" to
up to 600 strands then wound on a 20" wood reel. Some of these ropes
get tangled between the pushing arm and the funnel at the cutting blades.

I have tried to use an expansion spring and I might just get that to
work if I hit on the magic dimensions for the spring. I'm thinking of
something like a telescoping tube that would range from 1" long to 9"
long with an ID of 1" to 1-1/2". (Where is that Unobtanium and
Dissapearium when I need it?)

Ever seen a telescoping tube like that?

http://www.kabelschlepp.com/conicalspring.htm
http://www.cqm-inc.com/telescopicspringcovers.asp
http://www.hennig-inc.com/Telescopic%20Springs.htm

McMaster carries a limited selection.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/10/2011 6:57 PM, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 18:25:10 -0400, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

I cut crimped steel wire in an automatic machine of my design and
construction. The lengths range from 5" to 9". The wire is "roped" to
up to 600 strands then wound on a 20" wood reel. Some of these ropes
get tangled between the pushing arm and the funnel at the cutting blades.

I have tried to use an expansion spring and I might just get that to
work if I hit on the magic dimensions for the spring. I'm thinking of
something like a telescoping tube that would range from 1" long to 9"
long with an ID of 1" to 1-1/2". (Where is that Unobtanium and
Dissapearium when I need it?)

Ever seen a telescoping tube like that?

http://www.kabelschlepp.com/conicalspring.htm
http://www.cqm-inc.com/telescopicspringcovers.asp
http://www.hennig-inc.com/Telescopic%20Springs.htm

McMaster carries a limited selection.

WINNER! We HAVE a WINNER! Thanks Ned, the third link looks so cool,
I've never seen such a thing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 11, 9:01*am, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:
[...]

I've never seen such a thing.- Hide quoted text -

Look up "volute spring", have been around for hundreds of years. Kind
of a specialty item these days with coiled wire springs readily
available, but were used in a lot of places like in British railway
car buffers.. Probably was easier to roll up a sheet of steel than to
hammer or roll out round bar stock and coil it up.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote in
:

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 14:41:06 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

snip
Volute springs can be wound so there's tight contact between the
turns. The resulting friction is what makes them better dampers than
coil springs. "Friction springs" are an interesting alternative to
volute springs, or hydraulic shocks, and also use friction to absorb
kinetic energy.
http://www.ringfeder.com/en/america/...NGFEDER/?p=742

Thanks! I'd never seen these before. I have no idea if I would ever find
a use for them, but it's a slick idea. That takes care of my "learn
something new every day" quota.

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug White" wrote in message
.. .
Ned Simmons wrote in
:

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 14:41:06 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

snip
Volute springs can be wound so there's tight contact between the
turns. The resulting friction is what makes them better dampers than
coil springs. "Friction springs" are an interesting alternative to
volute springs, or hydraulic shocks, and also use friction to absorb
kinetic energy.
http://www.ringfeder.com/en/america/...NGFEDER/?p=742

Thanks! I'd never seen these before. I have no idea if I would ever find
a use for them, but it's a slick idea. That takes care of my "learn
something new every day" quota.

Doug White

Vehicle leaf springs slide against each other to absorb energy and dampen
rebound.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

They are also used regularly on a number of machine tools where
ballscrews may be exposed to particulates

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.

telescoping aluminum pole? cavelamb Metalworking 15 May 13th 09 12:52 AM
telescoping ladders Ron Home Repair 2 May 30th 05 08:34 AM
telescoping hex tubing Grant Erwin Metalworking 18 January 1st 04 02:12 AM