Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Telescoping tube?

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 18:25:10 -0400, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

I cut crimped steel wire in an automatic machine of my design and
construction. The lengths range from 5" to 9". The wire is "roped" to
up to 600 strands then wound on a 20" wood reel. Some of these ropes
get tangled between the pushing arm and the funnel at the cutting blades.

I have tried to use an expansion spring and I might just get that to
work if I hit on the magic dimensions for the spring. I'm thinking of
something like a telescoping tube that would range from 1" long to 9"
long with an ID of 1" to 1-1/2". (Where is that Unobtanium and
Dissapearium when I need it?)

Ever seen a telescoping tube like that?

http://www.kabelschlepp.com/conicalspring.htm
http://www.cqm-inc.com/telescopicspringcovers.asp