Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bend .130" thick 6061 T6 around 1" radius?

I want to make an adjustable cheek rest for a rifle stock.

I want to bend the 1" wide Aluminum around a 2" pipe for 180 degrees.

Do I need to anneal it?
Do I need to do it while it is hot?

Thanks in advance.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I want to make an adjustable cheek rest for a rifle stock.

I want to bend the 1" wide Aluminum around a 2" pipe for 180 degrees.

Do I need to anneal it?
Do I need to do it while it is hot?

Thanks in advance.

It is important that you know the grain direction. If you bend parallel to
the grain, it most likely will crack. You can usually determine the grain
direction by visual inspection.

If you anneal, it will be quite soft afterwards, and won't regain it's
formal hardness. If you choose to anneal, it would be wise to solution
anneal the item first, then it can be artificially aged once again to the T6
condition. I

would recommend against bending hot. It will work quite easily if
annealed, but can be rolled in the T6 condition if you have the means to do
so.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 22:34:56 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I want to make an adjustable cheek rest for a rifle stock.

I want to bend the 1" wide Aluminum around a 2" pipe for 180 degrees.

Do I need to anneal it?
Do I need to do it while it is hot?

Thanks in advance.

What kind of aluminum are you planning on useing?

I think if you were going to use the common 6061..you can simply heat it
up, which softens it up, bend it and reharden.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bendin...3_16_inch.html

"found the best way to anneal aluminum is with an oxy/ acetylene rig.
Use the biggest rosebud you have, a #8 is plenty big, burn the acetylene
without the oxygen, cote the aluminum with that black nasty soot, turn
on the oxygen to a nice neutral flame, and apply just enough heat to
burn away the soot from the aluminum. Let it cool naturally and your
medium is back to moving like butter. "
--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Make a carburizing flame with the oxyacetylene torch and deposit a soot
surface onto the aluminum. then flow more oxygen for a hot flame and
heat the aluminum evenly until the soot disappears, then you know the
aluminum is annealed and soft
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If you want 6061-T6 to return to anything close to T6 after working
and aging, you want to quench it fairly quickly from 900 degrees, not
let it cool slowly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I want to make an adjustable cheek rest for a rifle stock.

I want to bend the 1" wide Aluminum around a 2" pipe for 180 degrees.

Do I need to anneal it?

No.

Do I need to do it while it is hot?

No.

Thanks in advance.

You've got plenty of advice on how to anneal the aluminum, but it's
unecessary at that radius and material thickness, unless you can't
apply enough force to bend the stock in T6 condition. Kaiser
recommends a min bend radius of 5/16" for .130 6061-T6; the ASM
handbook says 9/32".

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

0.130" 6061, if it's T4 temper or below, shouldn't require annealing to bend
around a 2" pipe. If it's T6, all bets are off. But I'd still try it before
doing some kind of spot anneal without temperature control.

If you anneal it with a torch, some of it will be heated to solution
temperature and some won't. That which isn't will be left partially softened
forever. That which is will eventually return to something close to T4
through age hardening. To achieve T4 (20 ksi yield) requires a little over
400 days of natural age hardening.

Two other things to think about: The yield strength of 6061 falls off by
about 2/3 at 500 deg. F. That's well below solution temperature, so you can
heat it in a kitchen oven and bend it quickly without causing big strength
problems.

The other thing is that local heating with a torch is going to create a
heat-treatment mess in a hardenable grade of aluminum. The strength will
vary all over the piece, and, as I mentioned, it will change over time.
Torch annealing is something that's commonly done to anneal
non-heat-treatable alloys (3XXX and 5XXX series alloys) while you're
hammer-forming it, or otherwise cold-working it. But it's not usually a good
idea with 2XXX, 6XXX, or 7XXX series alloys that have been heat-treated to a
T4 temper or above.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

No matter what you do, natural age hardening won't get you above T4.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

and if you stay just a second too long, it plops on the floor in a ugly
puddle. AO is pretty darned hot. After screwing up a few pieces I
started using propane to burn off the soot. You can still melt a hole
but you have to work at it a bit more.